Ongoing issue with my Marzocchi 44 140mm

whodareswins2
whodareswins2 Posts: 18
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have been looking at the reviews etc and found what I thought was my model of fork that came with my GT aggressor bike which I got from Halfords.

The forks that came on the bike looked like the 44 ATA Micro / 2009 but was just the white forks the rest of the fork had the same levers as the 44 TST2 / 2009 and they are also 140mm travel not 120mm. When I first bought the bike the forks worked great but as the months went on the lock level stopped working so the suspension was always on full and would not lock out, when I went of anything like trees or small rocks the suspension would clunk down, I have tried adjusting the damper but this has made no difference. I took it to my local shop monster bike and he advised the cartridge had blown.
I took them to Halfords where I bought the bike and they sent them to Marzocchi to have this repaired, around two months later it did the same again so I sent them away again. now this has done it again I cant afford to have these fixed again and need the bike as well so cant be without them for so long either.

is there anyway of advising why it is blowing and becoming clunky and what parts are needed for me to repair it and how to repair . I have pretty much replaced all the gearing on the bike now with newer parts and also saving to change the brakes as the avid juicy 3’s are just not that great.

Comments

• If they're just open bath forks then the seal is constantly blowing causing the oil to swap between the upper and lower forks. This is a common cause for lock out failures. It'd just be a case of stripping down the forks, replacing the relevant seals and chucking new oil in. Maybe use the old oil if it's only new or a few weeks old and it's all the same weight.

You're best phoning up Marzocchi or http://www.windwave.co.uk and ask them. Ask them for service instructions and the relevant seals for your fork and you can try to do it yourself if you're after getting it done cheaply.
  • thank you for the advise on this, I will look into that as well. sorry what is open bath?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    you shouldn't be having to pay to repair the same issue that was ment to have been repaired two months earlier.
  • They said when I originally got the fault it was free then the next time which was recently that I would have to now.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    POAH wrote:
    you shouldn't be having to pay to repair the same issue that was ment to have been repaired two months earlier.
    Depends how many years ago that two months was.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools