Full Size Chainrings on Compact BCD

MisterMuncher
MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
I scored an SLK Crankset quite cheap second hand a while back, but the big ring at least is looking a bit past it's best. As I'm changing anyway, I was considering sizing up to a 52 or 53 on the big ring, 36-37 on the small. Are there any real issues with 110 BCD rings in this size of reasonable quality, or is it a recipe for flexy disaster?

Recommendations on chainring bolts welcome, too, as FSA's bolts seem to have a rather high percentage of camembert in their makeup.

Comments

• I think it depends on the capacity of the rear mech as to whether this is feasible, most road setups come with a short cage which means that it wouldn't play too happily.

I think.
  • MisterMuncher
    Ah, I thought if I went up to 52-36, so called "semi-compact", I'd have the same teeth difference as 50-34 and thus get away with it.
  • You may well. What cassette do you have, and which rear mech?
  • MisterMuncher
    105 Short cage, and 105 11-25.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Cage length shouldn't make a difference, should it? I thought that only affected cassette size. As long as the difference between your front rings was no greater than 16t.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • The 5700 version is:

Short cage - SS
    - Maximum front difference 16T, total capacity 33T

52-36 = 16 T
    25-11 = 14 T

Total capacity 30T = You're good to go. You could even go up to a 28 on the back.

However, the 5600 one only had a capacity of 29T. It may be able to handle it, but it may be close.