Unidentified noise.

Dub L
Dub L Posts: 62
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok so I can't get to the bottom of this. Basically when I pedal moderately there is a faint click coming from around the bottom bracket area. It isn't there under light or heavy load. I should also note that the rythm isn't consistent with my cadence. I have stripped, checked and re-greased everything and I'm still none the wiser, it's really starting to annoy me now. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    First thing you should do - try it with a different set of pedals. If you can borrow some, or buy some cheap ones, just try it with different pedals.
  • Dub L
    Yep, tried that with some cheap plastic ones I'm afriad, no change.
  • pesky_jones
    Chainring bolts tight?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Mech cable end hitting the cranks.

Or knees.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Dub L
    Chainring bolts are tight, and the mech cable couldn't be further away from the cranks.

Pretty sure it isn't my knees.
  • pesky_jones
    Does it make the noise when pedalling when seated and standing?

Does it make the noise in every gear?
  • Dub L
    Yes and yes. I am completely baffled, it must be said.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Don't be surprised if the source is not at the BB area. Noise can travel through the frame and it can be difficult to really hear the source whilst you are cycling especially with wind and tyre/road noise.

I'd look at other moving parts - is the rear wheel true/seated in the dropouts properly? Can you feel the noise as well as hear it?

Also check your cleats and look for loose flaps or laces on your shoes.

Or bits of stiff grass caught in the chain?
  • pesky_jones
    It could be spoke tension of rear wheel.

You could note everything on the bike that could cause the click, and then use the process of elimination to isolate the click.
  • Remove your stem and bars. Do a headset service, clean all the surfaces and re fit. Add a small amount of anti seize to the stem and bars. Give that a go, I bet that's the source. I find strange little clicks like this usually come from the headset/stem/bar area.

Also check wheels are in properly and dropouts/skewer surfaces aren't worn, clean around these areas. Again you can try some anti seize around the drop outs to see if this stops it.
  • Dub L
    The headset was serviced recently when I had my forks out, I suppose it's still a possibility though. The wheels are regulalrly out of their dropouts to get the bike in the back of the car. They are always refitted securely and there is no wear on the skewers or the dropouts, they might be a bit grimy, however. As regards spoke tension, the wheels are true but I will admit I haven't checked each spoke individually, I will check when I get a chance.
  • Dub L
    Yeah solved it. Turns out one of the spokes had come away from it's nipple. Spoke repaired and noise is gone. Tbh I don't know why I didn't check the spokes sooner, I suppose it's because the wheels seemed A-OK and it only happened while pedalling, lesson learnt. Thanks for all your help, guys.