2x10 Question

Wormishere1
Wormishere1 Posts: 284
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have done my best trawling through similar threads on here but not found my answer yet.

I need to convert to 2x10 on my 2014 29er Canyon Nerve which is currently 3x10 - XT groupset with clutch mech. The 'need' is because the chain is too long (when accommodating the 42t chaingring too) to use the 22t and 30t chainrings without the chain dropping off the lower jockey wheel if I go near the 11t and 13t on the cassette (I know I shouldn't but accidents happen).

My thought being that if I get rid of the 42t chainring then I will be able to reduce the chain by several links and stop the jockey wheel slip situation.

So...can I just whip off the outer chainring, adjust the limit of the front mech, adjust shifter to 2x10 (although some say this alters performance), and reduce my chain? I don't like the idea of a bash guard, but will this help the chain sliding off to the right?

I know to do a proper job I would need a specific front mech and cranks...but this just seems too expensive.
Remember Rule #5

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe, but you'll probably need new (shorter) chainring bolts if you don't fit a bash.

But if you use the 42, why restrict yourself to 2 rings for what is effectively user error - just don't use the small cogs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Wormishere1
    cooldad wrote:
    Maybe, but you'll probably need new (shorter) chainring bolts if you don't fit a bash.

But if you use the 42, why restrict yourself to 2 rings for what is effectively user error - just don't use the small cogs.

Cheers. I don't really use the 42t anymore, I get enough range with the 30t where I ride (Dales).

Will get some bolts ordered...
    Remember Rule #5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Read Parktools for measuring the chain properly, don't just randomly remove links.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    The 'need' is because the chain is too long (when accommodating the 42t chaingring too) to use the 22t and 30t chainrings without the chain dropping off the lower jockey wheel if I go near the 11t and 13t on the cassette (I know I shouldn't but accidents happen).

Sounds like the chain hasn't been reduced to the correct length to start with, and/or you're got the wrong rear mech (too short a cage) fitted.

Unless there are other reasons for wanting rid of your 42T, then check the chain by shifting to big/big - if the derailleur cage is pulled almost parallel to the chainstay of the frame, then the chain is right and it's likely the derailleur is a mid-cage, when it should be a long-cage version. If the derailleur cage still hangs down at quite a large angle to the chainstay then it's likely the chain is too long to start with, and shortening it might cure the problem.

If you decide to lose the big ring anyway, it might be worth replacing the middle with a bigger version: 30-22 is going to give you a lot of overlap for a double system - maybe try a 34/36 instead.
  • Wormishere1
    jimothy78 wrote:
    The 'need' is because the chain is too long (when accommodating the 42t chaingring too) to use the 22t and 30t chainrings without the chain dropping off the lower jockey wheel if I go near the 11t and 13t on the cassette (I know I shouldn't but accidents happen).

Sounds like the chain hasn't been reduced to the correct length to start with, and/or you're got the wrong rear mech (too short a cage) fitted.

Unless there are other reasons for wanting rid of your 42T, then check the chain by shifting to big/big - if the derailleur cage is pulled almost parallel to the chainstay of the frame, then the chain is right and it's likely the derailleur is a mid-cage, when it should be a long-cage version. If the derailleur cage still hangs down at quite a large angle to the chainstay then it's likely the chain is too long to start with, and shortening it might cure the problem.

If you decide to lose the big ring anyway, it might be worth replacing the middle with a bigger version: 30-22 is going to give you a lot of overlap for a double system - maybe try a 34/36 instead.

Hi,

Chain is the correct length, but the 22 to 42 range with a 11t is quite dramatic - it is a long cage mech. It only happens in certain situations (I have had it on the workstand a fair ammount) so is not happening every ride but is annoying when it happens.

I will just drop the outer ring for now and then see how much more range I need after a few rides.
    Remember Rule #5