Going tubeless using 20" BMX inner tubes

D4V1D
D4V1D Posts: 233
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I was just wondering how many people have gone tubeless using a 20" BMX tube. I had enough of snake biting my rear so gave the conversion a go. It has worked well for more than a year, so I've finally got round to doing the front after getting two big thorns in less than 1/2 mile which kill to tube out on the trail.

I haven't used special tires, just the standard ones which came on the Cube.

How long will the stans fluid last in the tube before it stops working?

I carry a set of tubes on long rides just in case I burp both off the rim.
I'm not a racer, but I like to churn out 2-3hr rides,
I love Cannock and Llandegla cycle parks.
Cube Acid 2010
Upgraded RockShox Reba RL Forks, twin air.
Updrade RockShox dropper seat post.
Went tubeless DIY style using a 20" BMX tube. Lasting well.

Comments

• meeksy66
    meeksy66 Posts: 1
    I am also a "ghetto" tubeless man. Works for me.
    About 9 months on current set up. I was told about 18 months on the stans then it needs replacing.

With you on the spare tube though.
  • I'm not too sure what you mean. Going tubeless with a tube? Do you mean using a 20" tube instead of a tubeless rim tape to seal around the spoke holes?

But anyway, just stick a rim strip in and some sealant, let it seal the gaps and it should be ok.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Terrytibbs wrote:
    I'm not too sure what you mean. Going tubeless with a tube? Do you mean using a 20" tube instead of a tubeless rim tape to seal around the spoke holes?

yes - the 20" tube is mounted on the rim and then split and wrapped over the bead hook on the rim. The tyre is then fitted and the excess tube material trimmed off where it sticks out from under the tyre. Google "ghetto tubeless" for more details.
  • jimothy78 wrote:
    Terrytibbs wrote:
    I'm not too sure what you mean. Going tubeless with a tube? Do you mean using a 20" tube instead of a tubeless rim tape to seal around the spoke holes?

yes - the 20" tube is mounted on the rim and then split and wrapped over the bead hook on the rim. The tyre is then fitted and the excess tube material trimmed off where it sticks out from under the tyre. Google "ghetto tubeless" for more details.

Fair enough then, if it works I suppose it's fine. Doesn't it look messy around the outside of the tyre where you've cut it?
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Terrytibbs wrote:
    Fair enough then, if it works I suppose it's fine.
    I've never tried it myself (I'm happy enough running tubes), but from what I hear, it's pretty good.
    It would work out slightly heavier than using the official tubeless conversion kits, but a lot cheaper, and because the tube material overhangs the bead hook, you can use any tyre and it seals easier - no need to build up layers of tape to precisely the right depth, etc, etc.
    Doesn't it look messy around the outside of the tyre where you've cut it?
    not that you'd notice:
    308200220_r0.jpg
  • kja
    kja Posts: 259
    I've been using this method for over two years now, on several different sets of wheels. Once you've done it a couple of times it's reallyvery straightforward. I use a CO2 canister to pop the beads into the rim, then deflate almost completely and pump up with a track pump. Originally I used Effeto Caffe Latex sealant, but now finding the Stans much better.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    I take it when you use the bmx tube you have to use a new one every time you change a tyre ?
  • Jgb1
    Jgb1 Posts: 50
    Just use gorilla tape instead of tube. Less weight and less mess I would of thought. Works great for me.