Specialized Rockhopper 2012.....what upgrade next????

Clockworkmark31
Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
edited November 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Hi Everyone,

Just getting back in to MTB'ing after a very long break after my cube acid got stole.

Anyhow, I bought a Rockhopper comp 26". Was impressed at first but noticed certain things needed changing.

Changes made so far from standard;

Grips and seat replaced
Upgraded to hope 185mm rotor (no good)
Upgraded to XT brakes with ICEtech rotors (back still to fit)
Upgraded to Conti X-Kings
Upgraded to Saint Pedals
Got a Rockshox REBA 100mm sl fork in the post.

Fully serviced the bike as it was not new, replace bearings and cones and BB etc.

So far I have found the tyres to give me the biggest change, more fun, they slide around but are predicable.

XT brakes, I feel have all or nothing.

Like I said I am waiting on new forks, so this may affect everything. But what upgrades would be best next for fast XC.

See pics attached from standard to now.

DSC_0231_zpsb0d16004.jpg
DSC_0266_zps3d352d72.jpg
DSC_0265_zps7c119137.jpg
DSC_0280_zps1761ada1.jpg
DSC_0281_zpsdc40a122.jpg
DSC_0293_zpsbfb69d1f.jpg

Comments

• No one like Rockhoppers?
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    To be fair mate you need to embed the pics in the thread foe people to bother looking at them. Then you will get some comments
  • Russyh wrote:
    To be fair mate you need to embed the pics in the thread foe people to bother looking at them. Then you will get some comments

:D Thanks images should be embeded now? I think?
  • wheels? Not sure what's on there but a lighter wheel set will probably make a big difference.
  • Standard wheels, as it left the factory.

Waiting to receive the new forks so will see if they improve things.

But the tires so far have made the biggest difference. Surprised me really, font end seems to change direction so easy and they grip good in gloopy mud and are more faster rolling.

Quick question on the XT brakes, is it normal for them to have all or nothing, if I squeeze them lightly I can hear them gripping but not too much feels to happen until I grab them.

Seems abit worrying when I'm going faster and want to scrub a mph off, I have to grab them harder and then the front dives (yes budget fork is set up).

Maybe the fork will change things?
  • russyh
    What pads you running on the brakes pal? For me I would upgrade the following
    Forks then lighter wheels. I wouldn't then bother with much more. To be honest once you have swapped onto the Reba's I would leave it there, it will be much nicer bike to ride. Chucking more money at it would be a false economy IMO
  • Running the shimano finned ICEtech pads. Hoping the forks will give it a whole new feel. If they do, then I am sure I can source some wheels of ebay.

Just doesn't feel like my old ride Cube Acid, that I loved, will try the forks then take it from there. Should have new pics and report up by the weekend if they arrive.
  • Well the REBA SL's arrived today so couldn't resist fitting them, very easy to do.

DSC_0296_zpsc37e57bd.jpg
    DSC_0297_zps5802d3db.jpg
    DSC_0298_zps2e9a321e.jpg
    DSC_0300_zps0daeb07a.jpg
    DSC_0299_zpsd44bd3b6.jpg

Quick ride to the shops and what a difference, forgot what real suspension felt like and the remote lockout is a nice feature.

Set them up at the weekend then go for a ride.

Things still left to do;

Wheels
    Drivetrain
    Finishing bling to change (plus lighter components)
    Rear brake to fit again XT with ICETech rotor, then get LBS to shorten the ridiculous long cables.

Will have replaced everything by then, and it will all have cost me the same as buying the Rockhopper Comp new and just upgrading the brakes and pedals.

So all in all will be happy.........but then it continues something new comes out and you must have it etc etc never ending circle
  • acer2012
    acer2012 Posts: 45
    I've got the slx brakes and my dads got the xt; I know hat you mean, they do have an on/off kind of feel to them.If you relax though and expect them to be as powerful as they are, I find the modulation to be pretty good. Just takes a bit of getting used to. Also, if you can change forks over, you'll be able to shorten the hoses. As long as you've got a decent cutter its really easy.
  • Hi everyone.

Tuned my forks today, and what a difference now I feel happy.

It's affected everything from braking to steering, feel like I have confidence to really grab the XT brakes without movement in the fork and I can hear the XKings fighting for grip (smile on my face). Now I feel confident in pushing harder.

Just these upgrades have made a huge difference to the feel.

XT brakes with ICE Tech rotors
    Conti X-Kings 2.2
    RS Reba SL dual air.

DSC_0301_zpsca6277cc.jpg

Now I have a question, having weighed the bike it is on the fat side of 13.5kgs.

I'd like to drop 2kgs from this, what would be the best way?

I am wanting to upgrade all the drivetrain to XT replace the wheels, but not sure what with?

Seatpost, stem and bars plus finishing touches.

Would a 2kg loss be too much to ask for?
  • After a clean its almost the bike I want it to be :)

DSC_0310_zps9117fa37.jpg
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Nice bike mate, really bling upgrades there. If you went1x with a NW ring you could easily drop a pound just there. 2 kg is a lot to ask for but you could manage if you have the cash
  • Working overtime for the never ending circle of upgrading lol.

I have been looking at dropping weight, at the moment I am using Alex wheels.

Did A quick search tonight and found equivalent Easton wheels with hubs and they are half the weight :shock:

Funnily enough, I have been looking in to going to 1*10 as I only use the top ring on the front. But I have been out of the game for so long I don't know how to upgrade to this. Same with converting 9 speed to 10.

And if I went tubeless plus the XT upgrades and Hope finishing touches.

Think I might be close to losing 2kg, I like the bike so would rather take this approach than simply getting a new bike.

Would suggested upgrades sound like a 2kg loss?
  • Think I am wanting my underdog to win, mostly everyone is on 29s and maxels and god knows what now.

But from my engineering side I think you can always improve something, and I have already committed to my build now.

Things I will not change, Frame, Forks, Brakes (other than fit matching XT rear), Tyres.

Other than them, everything else I am wanting to change out.
  • russyh
    Nothing wrong with upgrading a bike mate, just make sure you don't blow your brains when you could actually spend less and gain more by replacing the whole bike!
    In my opinion changing the wheels to a lighter set and running tubless will save you loads of weight. However I would look at some superstars components wheels as factory built wheels can be a pain to service. You will also sav money buying from someone like superstars. 1x9 or 10'speed set up is easy. Buy a wide narrow chain ring in the size you want, remove the left shifter and front mech. Will save you a little weight, I wouldn't worry about 10 speed too much, if you want to run 10 though look on the second hand pages of pinkbike and singletrack for bargain used parts. It's a simple upgrade.
  • Thought I'd give a quick update on the rockhopper.

Spec:

Rochshock REBA 100mm SL
    Tyres Continential x-kings 2.2 (soon to change to mud kings and tubeless)
    Wheels Superstar XC430
    Skewers Superstar titanium and carbon QR
    Brakes and Rotors Shimano XTs and ICETech rotors (rear still to install)
    Stem 50mm stubby Superstar
    Bar and Post Superstar
    DMR Grips
    Seat post clamp superstar when the correct one arrives
    Saint pedals

Things to change

Front and Rear derailleur and cassette to Shimano XT
    Cranks, no idea yet
    Headset

Updated pics

DSC_0320_zps55c005d5.jpg
    DSC_0322_zps0245904a.jpg
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    your bike looks great mate and you've made some really nice changes 8) ..
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Too much colour going on for me. Your hose routing is wrong too - go inside the fork leg.

Looks good though, sort your brakes out - fit the other XT. Why not go single ring if you're trying to save weight? Things like XT mechs will save virtually nothing. In fact Deore were the lightest front mechs for years.
  • I know the cable routing looks untidy, once I fit the rear brake will take it to the LBS and get them to shorten the brake hoses and tidy it up for me.

Don't think I will be saving much weight from it not, other than lighter tyres and and going to a hollow tech crank.

The mechs will just be for smoother shifting, commute to work on it too so don't want to go single speed.

Will check its weight tomorrow in LBS as checking out another bike.

Will also try to get a proper picture up and not from a phone.

Already thinking about changing the seat post for a less subtle carbon one :roll:
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Nice bike mate :) How about going spd's?
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Thanks, think once its complete and the finishing touches done it will look better and tidier.

SPD's never rode them before and I know they are lighter but I like to get my foot off and don't like the sound of the bike coming with me on an off.
  • Hi all bike has been STOLEN today please see

viewtopic.php?f=10040&t=13001713