wheel build

martinperry
martinperry Posts: 127
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Another wheel question for the experts
Sorry!
I am 90kg 6ft4 and reasonably powerful. Doing chiltern 100 and coast to coast this year so thinking of an upgrade to my current Aksiums
Pretty sure I'm going down the hand built route. My spec wishlist at present is Archetypes, Cxray spokes with alloy nipples and ultegra hubs (32 hole)
Any criticisms, suggestions especially around hubs? Weight is something I would like to keep down as much as possible, within financial reason!!
Finally, I fancy building up myself. I would need / like tuition on this
I've found this http://www.cambridgewheelbuilding.co.uk/ which is pretty convenient, and will let me supply my own bits - Any other suggestions / reccomendations?
Thanks

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    CX-rays in a 32H build why exactly it will not make it "aero" and if you think CX-rays are stiffer get a set built with CX-rays and with Sapim Lasers and then see if you can spot the difference. You won't despite the hype. CX-rays are fine in a every marginal gain racing wheel.

32H archetype on ultegra hubs is a fine combo. I would use lasers on the front and Lasers NDS rear Race DS rear, you would probably fine with Lasers all round but not "probably". Some would use Sapim race only on the rear and nothing wrong with that it does not add much weight.

It takes longer than 1 day to learn to build a set of wheels. The course I did a while back was four days long. The first set I built on my own took all day to do. They are still as well built as a set I do know but the difference is it does not take me as long. In 1 day you can learn to lace and true. You cannot learn how to tension stress relieve even out tensions in 1 day as well. You need to all of that to build a long lasting wheel. I am not trying to put you off giving it a go but be realistic. If you want to give it a go do so put be prepared to for your first set to take several attempts top get it right without a proper course. ATG run a wheelbuilding course as part of cytech 2 expensive though but it is far more in depth than a 1 day course.

Most people teach thenselves slowly. One chap who bought rims, hubs and spokes from me had to come and watch how I stress relieived as when he did the wheel fell apart on the first ride. His wheels are fine now.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
This discussion has been closed.