exercises with a mountain bike

wilsondark
wilsondark Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Health, fitness & training
Hi,
I bought a mountain bike and I want to get rid of a few pounds. Can you recommend some exercises to help me?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Take the bike outside and ride it
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    To lose weight you need to build up your fitness and once you have reduce your food intake a little.

Look for good local trails near you and time yourself. This then gives you something to beat. Road riding will also help especially up hills.
  • YellaBelly
    YellaBelly Posts: 130
    If you've just bought the bike and have just started riding then I don't think you need to do any specific exercises. Approach biking as a hobby not a fitness plan, and you will be far more likely to keep it up. As DCR00 said, go outside and ride. Then ride again, and again. Keep fun as the main aim, and you will soon find you can go further and faster, and your enjoying doing it. The weight will start to shift if you watch what you eat alongside becoming more active.
  • AlShack
    AlShack Posts: 38
    As previously said, find a simple-ish local trail, preferably one you can ride to (less chance of you finding an excuse if you don't have to get the bike rack/car out etc.!). Also helps if you have someone to ride with as you won't want to let them down if they are waiting at the cold/rainy/snowy/dark trail start for you!

Keep the trail simple so it doesn't scare you or put you off. Then just keep doing it until you feel as if you've got it nailed & it doesn't beast you.

Then, you'll feel a good sense of achievement, will be fitter, and will feel more comfortable being more adventurous.

Worked for me. Not that I'm super fit or massively adventurous, but so much more confident in both my abilities on the bike and fitness for going a little bit further/harder.

Most of all, enjoy it - it's great fun!