revelation 2014 harsh mid travel

immune69@gmail.com
immune69@gmail.com Posts: 15
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello i have 2014 revelation rl dual position air 150mm travel running 90psi rebound in slowest position 30% sag in attack position im 70kg.
Fork is behaving fine most of the time but in rock gardens medium size  quick hits became quite harsh and throws me off the line adding rebound is making it worse as it stiffens up fork. I've modified damper it  so i can change compression instead of just lock and tried to run 50psi and more compression damping but  no significant difference apart from quicker bottoming out.
Is it rebound or maybe air spring curve related? Did anybody had simlar experience ? As my previous lower model fork with standard spring was much more predictible. 

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Rule one of tuning and fault finding only change one thing at a time.

Adding rebound can cause the fork to pack down.

Adding compression will slow the fork as it compresses.

Reducing air pressure will increase sag and can cause the fork to bottom out more often than wanted.

TBH what you are saying does not really make sense.

Rebound stiffening up a fork? Only if compacted.

You say you have modified the compression? What have you done or did you send it away to be done.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    Sounds like you have too much rebound. Wind the rebound back to two clicks in from fully off and try that.
  • Yes adding rebound stiffens the fork when compresed making it harsher on medium hits with high frequency it feels worse than in slowest rebound position. Modification was to remove spring from damper as rl version have only lockout - compression then can be changed as in rlt version but without floodgate adjustment
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Did the fork come with the bike?

If so you could have a basic rebound damper as opposed to the dual flow damper

What you are describing sounds very much like pack down, especially if you are running rebound at its slowest
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes adding rebound stiffens the fork when compresed making it harsher on medium hits with high frequency it feels worse than in slowest rebound position. Modification was to remove spring from damper as rl version have only lockout - compression then can be changed as in rlt version but without floodgate adjustment
    I think you are mixing things up - adding rebound (which is damping) slows the rebound, so 'adding rebound' and the 'slowest rebound position' will end up being the same thing.
    Reducing rebound will increase the speed of the rebound. It has nothing to do with compression speed or damping.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • What i mean by compressed is over 50% into travel not adding compression damping its noticable only in that part of the stroke. To clarify slowest rebound is max to turtle position adding rebound moving towards rabbit. Fork came with the bike its labelled rapid recovery on the leg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Set the rebound in the middle and experiment.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Do a wheelie?
  • ive pumped it to 100psi loosing all small bump compliance also added some rebound after tftuned advice - seems better mid travel I will check over the weekend at the same rock garden section
    thanks for responses
  • Looks like pumping to recommended 110-120psi after tftuned advise and fully opening compression seems make fork much more predictable mid travel - but its not getting full travel even on 1,5m drops and its not comfortable on small bumps wit that setup - its roll over through things easier which is good. I was checking other forums and this seems to expected behavior for this model. I would expect top end rial fork to to be much more balanced across the travel. Thanks for responses.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try 105 psi, and a little compression damping. Small changes can yield big results.
  • thanks supersonic this seems to improve things further 105 psi and I'm getting almost full travel playing with compression should improve it even more