Yep, another "which bike?" thread (£1200)

cesco
cesco Posts: 252
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
First off: yes, I have done my own bit of research, read through the sticky topic and used the search button and Goog extensively. Now it's decision time, and since I'm the most indecisive person ever, I just thought I'd start my own topic. I can easily see myself ending up not buying a bike at all, as a result of not making up my mind haha. Choices, choices..

Long story short: I got hit by a car, I'm fine, my bike not so much. It was a Giant Defy 3 (2009) with Sora group and a 105 hubs/Mavic Open Pro rims wheelset. (of which the rear wheel is still perfectly fine). So either bike on my shortlist below would be a nice upgrade. Insurance payed out without any issues, and now I have £1200 to spend. I do have a little legroom, but prefer to be under, so I could treat myself to a nice piece of kit/shoes/gps/wheels.

Speaking of legroom: I'm 6'3" / 35.5" inseam (1.91m / 91cm) an weigh 78kg (I have no idea how much that is in pounds or stones).

Maybe the title is misleading. To be honest I'm 90% set on bike 1, where it would just come down to wheel selection. I do have some other options in mind (I'll try to put them in order-ish), and maybe there's something I missed. Any suggestions are welcome!

1. Dolan l'Étape Veloce.
There is something I quite like about this one. It's fairly new, so there aren't too many reviews out there yet, but anything I've read so far seems to push me even more into this direction. I'm loving the internal routing. The 56 size seems small for me, even though they advise that for my height. Yes, I know I might end up buying a bike without the chance of riding it, but I'll be fine.
I wasn't sure about the Veloce at first, but once I saw a bike with that gruppo in a shop (see bike 2), it felt and looked right for me immediately. My main issue with this one is the wheel options:
It comes standard with Miche Reflex rx5. They seem to be sturdy, look alright, and the bike would still only cost a grand. Upgrade options within my budget are Mavic Aksium (+120) or Cosmic Elite (+220). Lighter? Yes. Worth it? I'm not sure. We all know the British roads. Both of these Mavics seem to receive mixed reviews. Also, I realise I know jack s**t about wheels. Currently I'm leaning toward the Miche wheels, and if I don't like them I'll still have some budget to look at, for example, Campa entry level wheels. Any suggestions?

2. Forme Longcliffe 1.0, 7005 alloy, partly Veloce.
Spec-wise not the most objective choice maybe. I like the thinner tubes, but the paint job not so much. And whereas shifters and mechs are Veloce, it's not a full set-up, although the compromises seem fair. The chainring is a run-of-the-mill FSA, brakes are Forme (which is basically rebranded Sram) and the rest is Stratos (which seemed to be of good quality!)
I'm mostly considering this as the most reasonable alternative because it's from an actual brick-and-mortar shop. I didn't fancy most shops around here with their Treks and Spechs, and I never found them particularly helpful once they realised that I'm neither a sub-£600 nor a £2000+ buyer, if that makes sense. Anyway, this shop was different. The owner seemed to know his stuff, was helpful, chatty and nice. Maybe I'm putting too much meaning into that, and it's not like I couldn't do my own fettling, but it's nice to know there'd be a place to go to for servicing. Forme also offers lifetime guaranty. The bike would come down to £1100.

3. Ribble Grand Fondo or Sportive Bianco. Either Veloce with Campa wheels or Centaur with Pro Evo wheels.
That's my biggest dilemma right there, but on the other hand I like the higher freedom with choosing specs. My main issue is that I'm not too keen on either of the designs. I know that wouldn't slow down the bike, but it will be in my sight for a couple of hours when I ride.

4. Planet X Pro Carbon
Just throwing it in for good measure. I wouldn't know which group set to choose. Leaning toward Ultegra 6700, I'm weary about being able to adapt to SRAM. The RT-57 looks nice too, maybe a bit too racy for me.

5. Giant Defy Composite 2.
Just to illustrate my thoughts about bikeshops I guess. It's the only frame they pointed at, without offering to get a feel for it, and of course it was over the budget that I told them. It's 105 specced, but having felt that at other shops I wasn't too impressed. One of the things I didn't like about my current Giant was the oversized head tube. I know I need a larger bike, but the more I rode it the more it started to look like a tractor to me haha. Good first bike, but maybe I shouldn't stick to the brand just because it's reliable and there's a shop nearby.

If you made it through this long read, you're amazing! If you could give me some feedback or point out how ridiculous my criteria are, even more so! Thanks.

Comments

• trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    Looking for a new bike and you didn't mention Spez once, very proud of you and well done. :lol:
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • If you're an XL in Giant then Westbrook cycles have a Giant tcr comp 1 2013 for £1250. I have one and it's an awesome bike!
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Just to throw a spanner in the works how about a Canyon?

The Roadlite Al. 7.0 is in your price range, has full Ultegra and Mavic Aksiums. Pretty light too. Mine has been excellent.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3193
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Go for the one you think looks best. Seriously.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • cesco
    trooperk wrote:
    Looking for a new bike and you didn't mention Spez once, very proud of you and well done. :lol:

Ooh, you seem to have missed that:
    I didn't fancy most shops around here with their Treks and Spechs [...]

8)

Thanks so far guys!
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    NapoleonD wrote:

or the one that fits best
    or both!
  • cesco
    Thanks again. What really helped was writing my considerations down, your suggestions about going for the best looking one, and just having talked to someone at Dolan: the l'etape it is!

So next is the big which wheels question. To reiterate:
    cesco wrote:
    It comes standard with Miche Reflex rx5. They seem to be sturdy, look alright, and the bike would still only cost a grand. Upgrade options within my budget are Mavic Aksium (+120) or Cosmic Elite (+220). Lighter? Yes. Worth it? I'm not sure. We all know the British roads. Both of these Mavics seem to receive mixed reviews. Also, I realise I know jack s**t about wheels. Currently I'm leaning toward the Miche wheels, and if I don't like them I'll still have some budget to look at, for example, Campa entry level wheels. Any suggestions?

The person I spoke to at Dolan did recommend the Mavics (either of them), and it was good to hear they deal directly with Mavic, in case any issues come up.

On the other hand, I could sell the Miche set if I don't like them and buy a pair of -for example- Zonda's. Then again, I could potentially do the same with the Cosmic Elites; which might just work for me to begin with. Or the Aksiums; waaah choices choices! ;)
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Might as well upgrade now, otherwise you will only do it later which will cost you more.

I would go for the Cosmic Elites.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    take the miche wheels, the other's won't make you any faster unless the miche are significantly less stiff than the other two. You can always upgrade later, and the miche can be used as winter/salty road wheels. You could get a new rim laced onto your old 105/open-pro front. much cheaper and very much the sensible option.
  • napoleond
    NapoleonD wrote:

or the one that fits best
    or both!

If you buy the right size with the right stem length they will all fit!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • cesco
    take the miche wheels, the other's won't make you any faster unless the miche are significantly less stiff than the other two. You can always upgrade later, and the miche can be used as winter/salty road wheels. You could get a new rim laced onto your old 105/open-pro front. much cheaper and very much the sensible option.

Well, the new build is going to be Campag, so expect to see the rear wheel and front hub up in the classifieds soon ;)

I'm getting more partial to the Zondas. On gut feeling as well as reviews. It's just more of a hassle I guess.
  • napoleond
    edited March 2014
    Get the Zondas and use the miche wheels in crap weather or on the turbo.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    Just to throw another spanner in the works ......

Rose Pro SL £1269
    Aluminium smooth weld 7.75kg (57cm)
    SRAM FORCE 22 !
    Mavic Aksium
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pr ... tchanged=1

1951127_1.zfnmezthp0.jpg
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Miche wheels are pretty good I think. Decent hubs anyway, and look nice. Not the lightest, but fine for commuting / training / spare. I'd take them over a pair of Aksiums (I'm biased because my Aksiums have been total gash), you could then put that £120 towards some Zondas or some nice handbuilts for best. Don't really know about the other Mavics, but you could sell the Miches and buy some Zondas for less than the cost of upgrading to them.
  • cesco
    BigMat wrote:
    Miche wheels are pretty good I think. Decent hubs anyway, and look nice. Not the lightest, but fine for commuting / training / spare. I'd take them over a pair of Aksiums (I'm biased because my Aksiums have been total gash), you could then put that £120 towards some Zondas or some nice handbuilts for best. Don't really know about the other Mavics, but you could sell the Miches and buy some Zondas for less than the cost of upgrading to them.

Cheers, I was thinking that. The 2013 Zondas are £273 from Wiggle (Or 263 from HellFrauds with discount code; although I quite fancy the 2014 2-way system too.
  • MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    that Rose bike looks a stunner, pity it is off limits for C2W