Interested in your two cents worth

foxya3xx
foxya3xx Posts: 20
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Currently looking at upgrading from my trusty Specialized Allez that has seen me through the last 3 years. Long story short I've decided that the incremental upgrades I've been making are horribly inefficient and I should just suck it up and purchase a new bike now I know road cycling is how I really enjoy spending my free time.

Naturally I've gone straight to looking at the Tarmac being happy with the geometry of my Allez it seems the most obvious upgrade route and got a test ride on a Tarmac sl4 sport sorted for the end of this week. I'm also having read reviews becoming tempted at taking a look at the Cannondale Supersix Evo 6.

I currently go on a couple of rides a week of 40-50 miles and looking to up that as signed up for a couple of 100 mile sportives in the summer.

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else I was missing out in considering? I tried bikes with a more relaxed geometry when purchasing with my Allez and like I say I'm comfortable with a racier geometry. Also before the inevitable recommendations of Rose and Canyon I'm afraid I would be purchasing on finance so this would unfortunately push these two out of the equation. Budget is somewhere between £1500 & £1750.

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Buy this months Cycling Plus, it has the bike of the year awards in for exactly that price range.
  • I would have a hunt around for a 2013 bike, maybe a Giant TCR advanced or a Scott Foil. I would definitely consider the Dale as well. Sale bikes can't always be had on finance but if you spend a few minutes on google you will find a few companies that do.

I'm not a massive Spec fan having owned several in the past, nothing wrong with them it's just that I have found other bikes to be better.
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • foxya3xx
    Buy this months Cycling Plus, it has the bike of the year awards in for exactly that price range.

Thanks shall do

I would have a hunt around for a 2013 bike, maybe a Giant TCR advanced or a Scott Foil. I would definitely consider the Dale as well. Sale bikes can't always be had on finance but if you spend a few minutes on google you will find a few companies that do.

I'm not a massive Spec fan having owned several in the past, nothing wrong with them it's just that I have found other bikes to be better.

At first I was so very set on going straight for the Tarmac but the more I look at other options I begin to doubt myself. Did as you said and had a quick scan around for a Scott Foil 2013 and found this from a shop local to me.

http://startcycles.co.uk/bikes/road-bik ... -bike.html
  • You owe it to yourself to at least go and have a look. You may hate it in the flesh but you may also be able to get a test ride and be blown away.

By all accounts the Foil is a top frame and you could get it £100 cheaper still at Westbrook cycles, assuming they have your size.
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • 2014 Roubaix SL4 Sport Compact £1600
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180

^^^^^^^ This.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • foxya3xx

^^^^^^^ This.

Done exactly that but can't decide if it was a help or a hindrance as it has made me consider even more bikes than I was previously! Just goes to show it isn't a decision I should rush into which I was originally with the Tarmac.