Chain clicking and slipping off jockey wheels

mountainlion
mountainlion Posts: 22
edited March 2014 in Workshop
I recently removed my sram 10 sp. pc1031 chain to give it a good clean. I am aware that some chains are unidirectional so I thought I had been a little careful putting it back on but 15 miles later and my chain is makiing a clicking noise and sticking when I pedal backwards. It's also slipping off the jockey wheels easily on the rear derailleur. The derailleur seems to be lined up correctly and I cannot see what is wrong.

Does anyone know if this chain is unidirectional as I can't seem to find out and also whether it would cause the effects I'm seeing or if something else is wrong. (I want to be sure before removing the chain as I'd need to get a sram powerlink).

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Are you totally sure that you have routed the chain correctly through the rear mech? Check you haven't got a stiff link.
  • I don't believe that chain is directional.

How did you re-join the chain? A few things, If you simply pushed the pin out and rejoined the chain with the same pin, then you need to remove that link as there's a weak link in your chain. It's also likely, based on what you're saying, that you have a stiff link. When the chain is trying to bend around the jockey wheels, it's not moving smoothly and jamming up a little.

If you re-joined the chain correctly, with a split/power link, then I would make sure the link has clicked together properly. If you do have a stiff link, purchase a power link and remove the pin where the stiff link is and remove another pin to take off the 2 side plates. Then fit the new connector.

When you fit a directional chain on the wrong way all it does is mess up the shifting a little, it doesn't click or jam in the jockey wheels.

As Calpol said, check the chain is routed through the jockey correctly. If your chain is sticking when you pedal backwards, you may have a stiff freehub. Did you take off the cassette? Have you recently jetwashed/degrease around the freehub area? Just another possibility. When you pedal backwards with a stiff freehub, it causes chain suck. Did you re-lube the chain?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Calpol wrote:
    Are you totally sure that you have routed the chain correctly through the rear mech? Check you haven't got a stiff link.

+3 I have occasionally failed to thread the chain correctly through / round all the various bits of the rear mech. Makes a proper racket and you feel such a twonk.