9 speed -> 10 speed spacer question

Sprool
Sprool Posts: 1,022
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Moving a set of Fulcrum 5's from a 9 speed to new 10-speed bike + new cassette. I used the spacer ring with the old bike and 9 speed cassette, will I need it for a new 10 speed cassette on the new bike? The Fulcrum 5's are 11 speed hub, 2014 model.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,181
    10-speed shimano (except tiagra), will need the 1mm cassette spacer plus the 11-speed to 9/10 adaptor spacer

10-speed sram (or tiagra) will need just the 11-speed to 9/10 adaptor spacer
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Sprool
    thanks sun god, when i bought the fulcrum wheels they only came with one spacer ring for 9/10 cassette. Are you saying I also now need to get an extra 1mm spacer?
  • Sprool wrote:
    thanks sun god, when i bought the fulcrum wheels they only came with one spacer ring for 9/10 cassette. Are you saying I also now need to get an extra 1mm spacer?

Ye, depending on the 10sp cassette you have, you'd need the spacer that come with the wheel and the spacer that come with the cassette. If the cassette didn't come with a spacer (Tiagra, 10sp Sram), you don't need one.

in simple terms, at the end of the day, stick the cassette on, you're looking to add enough spacers so the lock ring tightens against the cassette, not the free hub body. And not too many spacers that you're barely tightening up on any thread. That's all there is to it really.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Terrytibbs wrote:

in simple terms, stick the cassette on, you're looking to add enough spacers so the lock ring tightens against the cassette, not the free hub body. And not too many spacers that you're barely tightening up on any thread. That's all there is to it really.

+1 terry has it.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Sprool
    Thanks chaps :]