Thinking In Advance

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited March 2014 in MTB general
Hi All

If we have a nice summer this year I was wondering what sort of stuff you wear, obviously you need to keep cool if it's hot, but I won't be riding trail centres as we have so much good off road riding around where we live, but a lot of the woodland trails are un kept so lot of brambles and bracken to ride through and would rip bare legs to bits, so what would you wear to keep cool and have a bit of protection as well?

Comments

• Anything from Endura and you won't go far wrong in terms of quality, durability and value. Look for their spec that has "high wicking" properties. Thats the feature of the material that draws moisture away from the body so you stay cool but not damp rather than locking it in like wearing a plastic bag. Go for long sleeved every time!
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Thanks for the advice.

I have only been serious mtb ing since December, but me a the kids was out for a bit of a bike ride last summer and the kids dared me to ride down a hill which had a lot of bracken on the side of the trail, didn't think a lot about it but after wards it looked like I had hundred of paper cuts on my arms and legs and did they sting, looked like I had been self harming for a week, not going to do that again ;)
  • I rate endura stuff to. Have normal and 3/4shorts. I just accept the odd scratch though as wouldn't want to overheat.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I wear wicking tees and dakine or fox shorts for the most part - as for brambles try and avoid them but if you cant accept that you will look like a self harmer for a while.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I'm so used to scratching my self on brambles now I don;t even notice it any more.

Its one of those tricky situations. Wear long sleeves and don't look like a self harmer but you'll be hot or wear short sleeves, stay cool but have cuts up your arms.

Don't think there is a right answer just pick your side.

I tend to buy generic sports tops from Sports Direct. They are highly wicking just like my other cycle gear but cost half as much. For shorts I still go with cycle specific ones as the cut is different and I appreciate the difference.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Shins and forearms that look like they have been attacked with a wire brush are the default for a MTBer, anything thats tough/thick enough to stop you getting scratched will feel like wearing a Burkha.

My favourite hot weather top was brought at Tesco for a tenner and has mesh down the sides and a half length zip. Unfortunately it hasnt got many rides left in it before it falls to pieces.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools