R500 to Ultegra

tomsimmonds
tomsimmonds Posts: 66
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
hi,

Just wondering if i would notice the difference between my stock Shimano R500 wheel set and a possible upgrade of Shimano ultegra wheel set?

Thanks

Tom

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    A friend has just moved from R500 to RS80 and is delighted with how much lighter and more spritely her Colnago Ace feels. Certainly, when I made the same move a few years ago from RS10s to RS80, I had pretty much the same feeling. Coincidently another friend was telling me only yesterday that he wished that he'd gone RS80/RS81 rather than Ultegra.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is there any reason they have to be Shimano wheels?

How do Shimano wheels (do Shimano make them?) compare with say Mavic and Fulcrum generally?
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    I currently use Rs10 & DA c24 Shimano wheels......I tried the Ultegra's expecting great things, I was not over impressed...The C24 are clearly better....as mentioned the Rs 80/81 look like a better buy as they do ride close to the DA C24, where as the Ultegra do not......
    The RS80/81 do cost more, but it does appear worth it in this case, especially if you can find them on special offer/discount.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    I have both, and yes you would notice the difference, especially on hilly rides. Ultegras are noticeably lighter but still a very sturdy wheel. They also have better bearing seals. I also have RS80 which are slightly lighter but feel a bit flexy - some say they are not as robust but I havent had problems. Some great prices on Ultegras so they would get my vote.