New bike - Whyte 905 v On one 456

Jaymo_wmids
Jaymo_wmids Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys

Been biking about 18 months - started off second hand and now decided to get myself something a bit better.

Think after researching it these two look like good options. Could those more in the know let me know which is considered better - be it spec wise or otherwise?

Looking to spend about £1k.

On-One 456 Evo 2 Shimano Deore Mountain Bike http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO456EVO2 ... ntain-bike £899

On-One 456 Evo Carbon Shimano Deore Mountain Bike http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO456CDEO ... ntain-bike slightly over budget £1099

SRAM x9 equivalent is £1200 so getting a bit too far from budget

Whyte 905 - 2012 model : http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... -12-46046/ can be had for £999.

Most my biking is places like Cannock/wyre forest/clent etc

Any help deciding be much appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I made the same choice from the same short list (plus the Whyte 19 steel which could also be had 999 - probably from the same place that you refer to). This has actually come up in a couple of other threads. I went for the 905 (2012 I think - 26er) and could not be happier - the spec is good, no weak links - often the chainset, finishing kit, wheels or tyres are a weak point aren't they? Amazing value at the price. Best part is the ride - fast and extremely capable - I've been riding mine through the winter in the Lakes and it hasn't missed a beat. Basically its a trail bike with suitably slack angles, but is comfortable and light enough to ride all day at a good pace.

I really like the On One options too - personally I ruled out steel due to weight. The Carbon 456 was an contender but the reviews / rider reports are a little more mixed, with some suggesting its more suited to short blasts rather than all day epics. I wanted something that could do both equally well, that's where the Whyte will be hard to beat IMO.

The Whyte just feels right to me. I'm 5'8.5'', 31'' inside legand went for a medium - rides well but wouldn't want it any bigger. On my One-one inbred I found the medoum too big & went for the 16inch frame.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Thanks for the reply

I'm 6ft 1 so would be looking towards a large frame - the Whyte 905 first caught my eye and was the number one choice to start with.

How does the whyte 19 compare?

Cheers
  • passout
    I've never actually ridden a 19 but I think the geometry is the same. The steel 19 is quite a bit more heavy than the 905 though, so of those 2 I'd stick the 905. I almost bought the steel for comfort & because I'm used to steel bikes but actually find the905 very comfortable - no real difference noticed, except lighter. The aluminium or titianium versions of the 19 look brilliant.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    Or the 650b version of the On One 456 at the same price:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO45650BD ... ntain-bike

Mine has just arrived - looks superb (in my eyes) in the 'super raw' finish. Only been out once for an hour, but came back grinning! Can't compare it to your other options, but think I'll enjoy mine.

Early impressions of the slightly larger (than 26") wheels are a slight but noticable improvement in roll-over ability, and they didn't seem to get quite as hooked up on obstacles as my old (Boardman Team) 26" bike. But that's hardly a scientific conclusion, or one based on extensive experience and comparison!!

I thought about finding a (probably used) carbon 456 frame / bike when I'd decided I wanted a Long travel HT, and probably would have gone for one if the 45650b hadn't just been launched at what seemed like a decent spec for a good price. I liked the idea of something light AND hardcore. I'd also read mixed reviews; its been reviewed twice by BikeRadar I think; one was very positive about it's 'comfort'; the other found it rather harsh, which echoes a few owner reviews I've read. I might still have gone for the new Carbon one - had it been on the webby at that price at the time I ordered my 45650b - but it wasn't, and I'd already made up my mind I wanted 650 wheels on a new bike by then. Would be interesting to know whether On One have re-engineered it to take some of the apparent harshness out of the frame ...

Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    I've only ridden the 905 out of the two, so can only comment on one side of the comparison. But for me it was a great bike. Too pricey at RRP, but at the £1k mark a great option in my view.
  • Thanks for the replies guys - just wish the 26 v 650b debate wasn't in my mind!

Guess parts for 26" bikes aren't going anywhere soon? I need to just bite the bullet but when your spending £1k thats easier said than done! - the whyte is definitely the top choice - great reviews and suits my needs.
  • passout
    Won't some 26er frames take 27.5 inch wheels anyway...? They aren't much bigger.

Also in terms of parts we are only talking tyres / tubes / rims / spokes really aren't we? You could use sus forks designed for a 27.5 er couldn't you? Especially if it had adjustable travel.

26er parts are going to be around anyway, some tourers & kids bikes use them as well us MTBers. Lots of people keep their bikes for ages too anyway, so demand will be there.
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    I would be tempted to get the one one steel and put the difference towards a dropper post, may be a fair bit comfier than both the 456C and the 905
  • chrisw333
    I doubt it.

The 456 is known to be pretty harsh in all guises isn't it?

There's nothing uncomfortable about the 905, so far as hardtails go.
  • fizik
    chrisw333 wrote:
    I doubt it.

There's nothing uncomfortable about the 905, so far as hardtails go.

I wouldn't know I haven't ridden one, have just read some think the 456C is comfier so what do I know. Not knocking the 905 at all though, have read the reviews looks like a slack and low speed machine 8)
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    Can't compare ... but having had a few rides under my belt on the On One 45650b, I can say I'm impressed and like the bike a lot!!! Its very capable, and giving me loads more confidence on the steepier and techier stuff locally than on my Boardman.

It doesn't feel like a nice springy plush steel ride ... I suspect that given the price of the frame, not too much time and care was taken to engineer in a forgiving back end ... but its no harsher than any other HT I've ridden. In time, will probably get a 2.4 tyre on the back for rougher terrain ...

I splashed out on the dropper post (a reverb for 'only' another £150) ... I've never used one before, and TBH wasn't initially sure that it was money well spent, but I'm starting to be glad that I did
  • punkatron1
    punkatron1 Posts: 134
    chrisw333 wrote:
    I doubt it.

I'd have to disagree with that. I've got a 456 summer season and my brothers got a 456 evo2. They've been in constant use over winter for 4-5 hour peak district rides rather than our FS bikes. Absoloutley no issues and definitely not a harsh ride.

Although my brother had the original carbon 456 and that was tiresome over the same trails.
    Too many bikes, not all fully built.
  • chrisw333
    Even so, I doubt it's more 'comfortable' than the 905
  • punkatron1
    punkatron1 Posts: 134
    Hard to comment without having ridden both.
    Too many bikes, not all fully built.
  • fizik
    chrisw333 wrote:

Steel bikes are generally more comfortable and less jarring to ride hence the initial comment, aluminium hardtails being stiffer and less forgiving. Unless you have done a direct comparison then it would be hard to say. Steel is real though, as they say :lol:
  • chrisw333
    fizik wrote:
    chrisw333 wrote:

Steel bikes are generally more comfortable and less jarring to ride hence the initial comment, aluminium hardtails being stiffer and less forgiving. Unless you have done a direct comparison then it would be hard to say. Steel is real though, as they say :lol:

I know they say that, but a lot of it is marketing bull. It very much depends on the type of steel used and the frame design is how I understand it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of steel bikes - a Cotic Soul has been on my wish list for a long time now. But not all steel bikes are forging, despite what you hear.
  • passout
    Yes, true. Alu can be forgiving too - I think the 905 is comfortable
  • fizik
    chrisw333 wrote:
    fizik wrote:
    chrisw333 wrote:

I know they say that, but a lot of it is marketing bull. It very much depends on the type of steel used and the frame design is how I understand it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of steel bikes - a Cotic Soul has been on my wish list for a long time now. But not all steel bikes are forging, despite what you hear.

I hear ya, not all steel frames are created equal afterall, like you say depends alot on the cost too, worst thing would be having a heavy steel frame with none of the zing that many steel frames are known for. My BFe is fairly forgiving, but probably not quite as much as a soul but I did come from a 140mm full susser so it was never going to feel like a cushion :lol: