how to warm up properly

vin31
vin31 Posts: 23
edited March 2014 in Amateur race
I imagine everyones needs will probably be different but I am after a few pointers on how to warm up properly for my A4 races, i'm 37 and new to all this but found today that although my legs were fine when the race started my HR more or less went to maximum for the first 3 miles or so until i eventually got dumped out the back of the group. Any constructive advice will be much apprieciated.

Comments

• My coach consistently has me do 5mins Z1-2, 6mins Z2-3, 2mins Z1-2, 6sec sprint, 2mins Z1-2, 6sec sprint, 2mins Z1-2 then race, compete within 5-10 mins. Warmed up but not over exerted.
  • vin31
    thanks, will give that a try.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Yes, warm-up is important - but the type and extent of your training program is critical.

Do you have a training method that includes 'interval training' of various durations?
    For example 2-minute intervals, 5 / 10 / 20 minutes?
    Doing hard interval training once or twice a week will give good results, but they a not fun ....

If you are just now starting actual 'racing', you are probably a very fit and strong 'recreational rider'.
    That gives you a good physical 'base'. The next step is to increase your speed and endurance to beyond what is now achievable - interval training will do that.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • vin31
    thanks Jay, are the interval sessions designed for use on the turbo trainer adequate ? I'm hoping to add a turbo session so could incorporate it as an interval session.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I do a lot of my intervals on the Turbo this time of year due to the dark nights. It's a fantastic tool that allows for really focused sessions.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Intervals on turbo should be fine. Plus it let you concentrate entirely on physical trianing and not worry about traffic, etc.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • vin31
    many thanks for your replies folks. first interval session over with tonight !