Is it 8 speed?

eyepic
eyepic Posts: 58
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Bought a bike second hand and it has an 8 speed cassette but looking at the cassette it appears to be from a different cassette. ? The gaps look different. ? Any idea how to check if the sora flightdeck changers are 7.8.or 9 speed?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Count the clicks and add one.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    eyepic wrote:
    it has an 8 speed cassette but looking at the cassette it appears to be from a different cassette.
    That doesn't make sense.

For the levers, if you fold back the rubber hoods you should find a model number, e.g. ST-3200, ST-3300 etc. Google it and find out what you have. (or disconnect the cable and count the clicks...)
  • eyepic
    eyepic Posts: 58
    Sorry about making sence.. the cassette is made of a large block of six gears plus 2 individual single gears... the two don't interface properly with the main block and to me it looks like a marriage of two different cassettes.

Thanks for the info about the hoods.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,164
    Not sure if this is relevant but..
    I had an old bike with narrow spacing at the dropouts. I used S/H 9 speed shifters and used a 9 speed cassette, but used an old freewheel and dropped a cog off to fit it in the space. This worked fine (but one click spare), but an 8 speed cassette wouldn't have shifted properly.

Previous owner may have mixed a block from (say) 9 speed setup with loose cogs from something else, hence spacing mismatch?
  • eyepic wrote:
    Sorry about making sence.. the cassette is made of a large block of six gears plus 2 individual single gears... the two don't interface properly with the main block and to me it looks like a marriage of two different cassettes.

Thanks for the info about the hoods.

Probably best post a picture. It sounds like, exactly what you're saying. Maybe someone has miss matched a cassette. That would be fine if the miss matching was done and it's all from an 8 speed cassette. If it's tight and shifts ok, then it's probably fine though.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 608759.pdf

From the exploded views here Sora 8 speed cassettes would appear to have the first 6 sprockets bolted together then the 2 smallest loose and with built in spacers