Tracking a stolen bike

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited March 2014 in Road beginners
Reading accounts of bikes being stolen from events (by thieves dressed as cyclists, the scum :evil: ) and insurance insiders whistle blowing on the nefarious ways the companies try to avoid paying out has led me to think that some kind of tracker would be a good idea. Does anyone have any experience of these fitted to a road bike? Thanks.
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• Ringpeace
    Ringpeace Posts: 105
    The first link that you posted about a Pinarello Dogma getting nicked. Aren't they £10,000K + ?

I think if I had a bike worth so much the last thing I would do would be to ever let the thing out of my sight if I was out on it!

Quote from Nuno - "I had signed in and attached my ride number to the bike, just waiting around for the start, chatting with mates etc,” Nuno said in an email to shop owner, Tour de France veteran Adrian Timmis. “I was never more than a few meters away and still don’t know how I missed it going."

Errr - maybe because you wern't actually looking at it!

My bike is worth around a grand. If I had to leave it unlocked anywhere I literally would be within metres of it and would have an eye on it the whole time.

Common sense, wits and eyes - it's free!
  • I would like one of these. Had 1 bike stolen. Bike was only £300 but then add costs of lights (I had taken lights off but leave brackets, same for bike computer) cages, lock, helmet as this was wrapped in lock it costs a fair bit. I don't care if the bike is in bits, just being able to find the junkie that nicked my bike so I can take him for a walk will be worth every pound.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You can get GPS trackers as part of lights and things.

Given that Tri UK had two Luton vans nicked, fitted with trackers in London - and they couldn't find those - I don't see how well it would work on the bike. Must have a limited life on the battery too.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    cougie wrote:
    You can get GPS trackers as part of lights and things.

Given that Tri UK had two Luton vans nicked, fitted with trackers in London - and they couldn't find those - I don't see how well it would work on the bike. Must have a limited life on the battery too.

Although the thieves stealing the van load of bikes would probably assume or know that there were trackers fitted - so would look to disable them first ...

I looked at a few bike insurance requirements - some were dependant on fitting an RFI tag - which seems like a good idea until you realise that practically nobody will be scanning a bike to start with, so the only time may be used is recovering the frame as if the components are any good they'll have been stripped off first!
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    seen something somewhere that you can get a tile to stick on the bike with a gps signal so you can track it.cant for the life remember where I seen it tho....maybe a google search will do the trick

http://www.thetileapp.com/
    http://www.slocyclist.com/stopping-bike ... -bicycles/

this type of thing.loads of these online.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • Ringpeace
    Ringpeace Posts: 105
    Perhaps if the courts gave serious sentences to bike thieves - and the police did the job they are paid for - there wouldn't be the need to have to fit GPS trackers.

I can go on Ebay now and within 5 minutes I will have hundreds of quite clearly stolen goods and components in front of me. Why aren't the police following this up?

The reason is there is no benefit to them reuniting stolen goods with their owners. When they do recover stuff they make no attempt to find out who it belongs to and sell it off at police auctions - where they keep all the money! It's a good racket for them.

There is more chance of winning the lottery than the police ever reuniting it with you.