cassette to fit campag hub with shimano spacing

triathlondaz
triathlondaz Posts: 282
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Does anyone know if any cassettes are available to fit a campag 10 speed hub but spaced for shimano 10 speed?
thanks

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Is swapping the freehub not an option with your wheels??
  • thats what I planned but i'm not sure which one I need, they are Zipp 808 and there are 2 shimano 10 speed ones available #confused?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    If it helps, they have a Zipp 188 hub, just send an email to denham@zipp.com he should be able to give you an answer if you don't find it yourself
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks all, i've took the freebody off today, very quick and easy to do. Ordered the shimano one for £85

anyone want to buy the campag one with a free cassette :wink:
  • shaw8670
    shaw8670 Posts: 264
    Just use the Campag cassette and it'll work. Sheldon Brown's website has the spacings and there's not much difference.
    Greetings from the wet and windy North west
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The diffence is big enough to cause a problem.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    yep, get a shiftmate
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,131
    ..or an Ambrosio Cassette. They do Campag fit for Shimano spacing and vice versa. I have a pair of Dura Ace 1380's on my Colnago which is Campag 10 speed, works fine.
    If you go 11, apparently, the spacing is identical.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • gfk_velo
    gfk_velo Posts: 78
    Not true, unfortunately.

Campagnolo were approached by Shimano when they were working on 11s to co-operate on a standard overall width for the cassette and that is what we have.

However, there are differences in the inter-sprocket spacing of a Campagnolo 11s cassette and a Shimano one. This is because the two companies take fundamentally different approaches to the geometry of cable recovery and rear derailleur movement. Additionally, Campagnolo vary, in 11s, the sprocket-to-sprocket spacings even between different sized sprockets - so the gaps between 11, 12 and 13 on an 11-up cassette differ from those between the 12-13-14 on a 12-up cassette.

Having said that, the 11s cassettes will run interchangeably it's just that the shifts and smoothness of transmission post shift won't be as good as they should be with longer-term possibilities of increases wear and tear as a result.

HTH
    Graeme
  • ugo.santalucia
    gfk_velo wrote:
    Not true, unfortunately.

Campagnolo were approached by Shimano when they were working on 11s to co-operate on a standard overall width for the cassette and that is what we have.

However, there are differences in the inter-sprocket spacing of a Campagnolo 11s cassette and a Shimano one. This is because the two companies take fundamentally different approaches to the geometry of cable recovery and rear derailleur movement. Additionally, Campagnolo vary, in 11s, the sprocket-to-sprocket spacings even between different sized sprockets - so the gaps between 11, 12 and 13 on an 11-up cassette differ from those between the 12-13-14 on a 12-up cassette.

Having said that, the 11s cassettes will run interchangeably it's just that the shifts and smoothness of transmission post shift won't be as good as they should be with longer-term possibilities of increases wear and tear as a result.

HTH
    Graeme
    Living in a world of approximations, I'll take that as an endorsement... :mrgreen: