Nokon "Bell"

term1te
term1te Posts: 1,462
edited March 2014 in Workshop
I bought some Nokon cables from a charity shop recently, fitting them this weekend. The instructions are in German; whilst my German is actually passable, there is one bit I can't figure out. It says I should use the "bell" to create an accessible gap in the inner sheath to oil the cable. I've figured out that the bell is a short section of clear tubing that the liner cable just fits into. So I'm guessing I cut the liner and then join it again with the "bell" sheath to make an access point. What I can't figure out is where I should make the access point. I'm guessing on the run between the rear mech braze-on and the bottom bracket? However, before I cut the liner, I thought I'd ask here.

Also, does anyone have some advice on how long to make the loop in the cable between the rear derailleur and the braze-on cable stop? One advantage of the Nokon system is that you can get away with tighter bends, but as I have no real need for a tight bend, will I get better shifting with a similar length loop to a normal cable?

Thanks

Comments