New bike, grating disc brakes

richa
richa Posts: 1,632
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have recently got a new bike; my first with disc brakes.

All seemed fine, I rode last weekend (first ride) and did not experience (notice) any issues.

To day, when inspecting the bike, both wheels seem to grate when spun. It appears to be the disc brakes?

Is this normal? Or is something wrong? Any ideas what could be wrong?

Many thanks.
Rich

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes, just ride it. Brakes rub, especially noticeable when it's upside down being inspected.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    You could try centering the calipers.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Cumm1ngs
    Cumm1ngs Posts: 13
    Are the pads or discs mucky?

I once got this, but one of my pistons had frozen. So one pad wore down to the metal. They can wear down in one ride, if it was heavy on the breaks and lots of muck/grime. Best check
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    What brakes are they? Hydraulic discs should NOT rub if correctly set up. Cable discs might just skim but not grate when brand new.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'm yet to find a set that don't rub from time to time. Use them.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    mattv wrote:
    What brakes are they? Hydraulic discs should NOT rub if correctly set up. Cable discs might just skim but not grate when brand new.
    They are Formula R1 (hydraulic, I think)
    Rich
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    R1s are good brakes. They should be silent with no rub, unless cornering really hard and flexing the axles...
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Check your bike documentation and there should be some instructions on his to bed in / wear in your disc brakes. Try this first. It is not unusual for disc brakes on a new bike to rub a bit until they are worn in a bit / readjusted.

As suggested above try reseating the callipers. Just loosen them off slightly, hold the brake on and keeping the brake on while you retighten. Also make sure your wheel is in straight and done up tightly enough. Mud can also make them rub but a quick pull on the brakes should sort that out. You may find like my back brake the braking action is slightly different on one side. To get round this just set the brake calliper distance up by eye.

There is no reason why your disc brakes should rub when they are clean and dry.