Earphone advice?

2»

Comments

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Carbonator wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    Never understand why people run with iPhones (apart from thinking (mistakenly) that they look good). I do not really want to take a call or have a quick game of Angry Birds while out running!

You do realise that, in this modern world we live in, that iPhones (not to mention the majority of other phones) can be used to store & play music and generally replace an iPod or similar? Insanity, I know!!

An ipad and a macbook have that funtion too. Would you strap either of those on your arm and have a big white wire swinging from it as you run?

Of course not as they're not as portable as a phone?

One reason for wearing a smart phone while running is to use Strava while also listening to music. Also, you might need to take a phone call when out!
  • TFC1
    TFC1 Posts: 62
    I recently acquired some Monster isport Intensity for £50 at an airport. Really good sound quality, strong, waterproof, light and microphone / adjustments on the cord.

Also they are not noise cancelling so you can hear stuff coming. The way they fit in ear is a bit strange at first but unbelievably comfy on long rides (unlike most earbuds) also no over ear mounting so you can still wear sunglasses comfortably.

Winner every time!
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    Never understand why people run with iPhones (apart from thinking (mistakenly) that they look good). I do not really want to take a call or have a quick game of Angry Birds while out running!

You do realise that, in this modern world we live in, that iPhones (not to mention the majority of other phones) can be used to store & play music and generally replace an iPod or similar? Insanity, I know!!

An ipad and a macbook have that funtion too. Would you strap either of those on your arm and have a big white wire swinging from it as you run?

Of course not as they're not as portable as a phone?

How about an ipad mini? Would that be portable enough?

Hmmm, I'd have to say no on this occasion, mate. Still too big. And, you couldn't make that emergency phone call on it should you need too...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I guess we just disagree on where to draw a line in the sand but I cannot see that an iPad mini is too big but an iPhone is a good size to run with.

The thing is that people have iPhones I suppose and just use them because they have them.
    I think they look as silly as having an iPad on your arm and would find it way too annoying due to size, weight, strap around arm, and swinging cable.

Strava is a good point. I would buy a device for Strava but I guess its a big ask for a lot of people if they are happy with a huge phone on their arm etc.

Think the phone call thing is a red herring. Have not needed to make a call while out running and people managed before mobiles were as prevalent.
    Someone else would have a phone if it was that urgent.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    You can use Spotify on a phone.
  • bagz3
    bagz3 Posts: 253
    Can you explain why?

What exactly do you do differently when you hear a vehicle coming from behind, do you.

A) Get off the bike, stand by the side of the road wait for the vehicle to pass before continuing.

B) Hold your breath and grip tighter to the handlebars, hoping the vehicle won't hit you.

C) Bunny-hop onto the pavement.

D) Pull even further into the gutter, making an accident more likely.

E) Continue as before and do nothing.

To the OP, I use the ones that came with my phone (as that's what I use), my phone changes regularly so then do the headphones.

What i do differently is make a conscious effort not to veer out to miss pot holes.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    OP is conspicous in their absence....
  • DKay wrote:
    OP is conspicous in their absence....

He can't hear us, he's got his headphones in.
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    I use a stereo to mono single ear earphone in the left ear (curb side) and mostly listen to podcasts anyway. Seems perfectly safe.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    dilatory wrote:
    I use a stereo to mono single ear earphone in the left ear (curb side) and mostly listen to podcasts anyway. Seems perfectly safe.

Which model do you have?

I've had two Far End Gear ones in the last four weeks and both have failed at the plug end.

I got fed up of just having one channel of sound and thought these would be the solution.
  • dilatory
    Just some cheap ones from Amazon. They died once but for £3 or something I didn't mind. If they die again I'll fork out a bit more, seen some on there for £15 with a braided cable.
  • narbs
    dilatory wrote:
    Just some cheap ones from Amazon. They died once but for £3 or something I didn't mind. If they die again I'll fork out a bit more, seen some on there for £15 with a braided cable.

Ta, I got the £15 ones so beware :)
  • dilatory
    Ah. Well maybe I'll just stick to £3 ones then! There's gotta be some decent quality ones somewhere. It seems like the perfect solution for all sorts of outdoor activities to me.
  • moscowflyer
    moscowflyer Posts: 540
    Just get a set of Beats, at least you'll stand out from the crowd.

For running I use some Bose ones I picked up from one of those vending machines at an airport about three years ago, IE2 or something similar. Sill going strong and lasted far, far longer than any pair of Sennheisers I've ever owned.
  • Anonymous
    dilatory wrote:

Depends what you mean by 'perfectly safe'.
    If you mean 'safe enough' then you might be right, but if you mean as safe as you can be then you should think again.

If you are cycling on a road with cars and having part of your concentration taken away by listening to something then its not perfect at all.
    Music is not nearly as distracting as people talking though so would be concerned about listening to podcasts.

Depends on how dangerous your journey is though I suppose.
    I need my wits about me on my commute.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Never understood why people listen to music while cycling or running. I thought you did those activities because you liked them. If you need something to distract you, then don't do it, stay at home and listen to music.

Also the argument that it has no effect on safety is rubbish. Why are you listening to music while you are cycling? Because its a distraction, It keeps you amused. If you are distracted it will ergo impair your reactions. If the music is not distracting you then why pray are you wearing headphones. :roll:
  • narbs
    mike6 wrote:
    Never understood why people listen to music while cycling or running. I thought you did those activities because you liked them. If you need something to distract you, then don't do it, stay at home and listen to music.

Also the argument that it has no effect on safety is rubbish. Why are you listening to music while you are cycling? Because its a distraction, It keeps you amused. If you are distracted it will ergo impair your reactions. If the music is not distracting you then why pray are you wearing headphones. :roll:

Do you ever let your mind wander when running or cycling? Talk to people you're riding with? Much the same thing.
  • mike6 wrote:

Studies have shown that if the person exercising is listening to a rhythmic, pumping style of music (dance or house for example) then it tricks the body into thinking it's worked less hard than it actually has. So, by listening to music, you can in theory work that bit harder.

Or, people just can't handle their own thoughts!!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    By the same token, you could argue that bird song etc is distracting and you should actually wear ear plugs to hear nothing at all, and not talk to your mates while cycling with them as that is distracting too...

Sometimes people dont cycle for pleasure but to train, commute, get fit, lose weight etc - I know thats why I go to Spin classes and I would never consider them if they werent playing music!

Plus people can like other aspects of cycling (physical exertion, sight, fresh air etc) without needing to like the sounds too. And sometimes having a rhythm to cycle too really increases the enjoyment. I know it does for me but then I use my 'in-built' media player in my head on every ride, which has the added benefit that my mind adjusts the temp to what my cadence should be, and chooses tunes which suit the circumstances perfectly - although sometimes with some weird choices like 'singin in the rain'... I never go for a ride without this media player!

I do VERY rarely use an mp3 player on a ride though - it does improve the enjoyment but there is a slight compromise. I can still hear and instinctively feel traffic to a reasonable degree but accept that there is a slight reduction in this ability. I would actually be more likely to do it in the dark - when car headlights make up for the loss of awareness through less sound.

I wouldnt consider running without an mp3 player, but then I dont run generally...
  • dilatory
    Carbonator wrote:
    dilatory wrote:

If you mean 'safe enough' then you might be right, but if you mean as safe as you can be then you should think again.

If you are cycling on a road with cars and having part of your concentration taken away by listening to something then its not perfect at all.
    Music is not nearly as distracting as people talking though so would be concerned about listening to podcasts.

How absurd. On the long rides where I take something to listen to, I usually leave as early as I can. Most of the time I'll pass a handful of cars on my way back home but mostly country roads where the curb side ear will be hearing nothing but the whoosh of air or rustle of bushes. I don't know about you, but when I cycle I look over my shoulder frequently and surprisingly am able to multi-task looking and listening and (would you believe it) steering. Maybe even pedalling if I am feeling brave!

On my 10 mile morning commute I take an undulating coastal road, it being so short I ride without music but instead listen to the sea and the wind. Or is that dangerous too? In fact I've had spent more time unable to hear a thing but the wind more than I've spent listening to music in one ear.

I suppose if we're getting into semantics the moment I leave my front door upon a two wheeled machine everything ceases to be "perfectly safe".
  • Anonymous
    mike6 wrote:

I don't like running that much, I like having been for a run.
    Cycling is very different, I like doing the actual cycling so would not spoil it with music even if it were safe.

Music takes away the boredom and is quite motivational if you run to the right thing.

Another reason I like running with music is that I like to be isolated. I normally wear gasses and gloves, and like the isolation they give too.

If I was running somewhere picturesque or through a forrest etc. I would not listen to music, but I do not really want to hear myself panting on local runs.

The only exception to that is a morning run in fresh snow. The quietness is too good to miss :wink:
  • mike6
    apreading wrote:
    By the same token, you could argue that bird song etc is distracting and you should actually wear ear plugs to hear nothing at all, and not talk to your mates while cycling with them as that is distracting too...

Sometimes people dont cycle for pleasure but to train, commute, get fit, lose weight etc - I know thats why I go to Spin classes and I would never consider them if they werent playing music!

Plus people can like other aspects of cycling (physical exertion, sight, fresh air etc) without needing to like the sounds too. And sometimes having a rhythm to cycle too really increases the enjoyment. I know it does for me but then I use my 'in-built' media player in my head on every ride, which has the added benefit that my mind adjusts the temp to what my cadence should be, and chooses tunes which suit the circumstances perfectly - although sometimes with some weird choices like 'singin in the rain'... I never go for a ride without this media player!

I do VERY rarely use an mp3 player on a ride though - it does improve the enjoyment but there is a slight compromise. I can still hear and instinctively feel traffic to a reasonable degree but accept that there is a slight reduction in this ability. I would actually be more likely to do it in the dark - when car headlights make up for the loss of awareness through less sound.

I wouldnt consider running without an mp3 player, but then I dont run generally...

That is simply being pedantic. If you can hear birdsong it means you are tuned in to what is going on around you and you have more chance of avoiding a dangerous situation. I love riding my bike but because of other road users, who may be less than switched on, you need to be fully aware of what is going on around you so you can compensate for the failings of inatentive drivers and pedestrians.

I love listening to music, that is why I enjoy it on its own. Listening to music whilst cycling or running is like reading a book at the cinema.
  • Anonymous
    dilatory wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    dilatory wrote:

How absurd. On the long rides where I take something to listen to, I usually leave as early as I can. Most of the time I'll pass a handful of cars on my way back home but mostly country roads where the curb side ear will be hearing nothing but the whoosh of air or rustle of bushes. I don't know about you, but when I cycle I look over my shoulder frequently and surprisingly am able to multi-task looking and listening and (would you believe it) steering. Maybe even pedalling if I am feeling brave!

On my 10 mile morning commute I take an undulating coastal road, it being so short I ride without music but instead listen to the sea and the wind. Or is that dangerous too? In fact I've had spent more time unable to hear a thing but the wind more than I've spent listening to music in one ear.

I suppose if we're getting into semantics the moment I leave my front door upon a two wheeled machine everything ceases to be "perfectly safe".

I did say that it depends on how dangerous your journey is.
    A distraction is a distraction though and if you are distracted at the wrong time it could be a contributing factor.

Everyone has to make their own call on it.
    A lot of the time people just want to listen to music, and then come up with loads of reasons to convince themselves (and others) its ok so that they can do what they want.

Saying the wind and sea is the same as listening to music or something even more compelling is doing just that IMO.
  • dilatory
    I don't know, I've spent a large percentage of my lifetime walking around with earphones in and am fully capable of avoiding catastrophe. If anything I'd say I am more aware of my surroundings that your average person who is just walking down the street. I'd argue the same for when I cycle.

This is a futile discussion really. It's all opinions and arseholes and if I trying to share my view any more I'll be the one looking like the arsehole.

What's your view on wearing helmets? ;-)
  • mike6
    dilatory wrote:
    I don't know, I've spent a large percentage of my lifetime walking around with earphones in and am fully capable of avoiding catastrophe. If anything I'd say I am more aware of my surroundings that your average person who is just walking down the street. I'd argue the same for when I cycle.

This is a futile discussion really. It's all opinions and arseholes and if I trying to share my view any more I'll be the one looking like the arsehole.

What's your view on wearing helmets? ;-)

Helmets are ok, as they are not a distraction from what you are doing. I am fully aware that listening to music whilst cycling is personal choice, I just dont try and pretend its not distracting. I say again, If its not distracting you, in even the tiniest way, then why do it?
  • Anonymous
    Personally I wear one because its safer.

I have hit my head hard (or its been hit hard by something) a few times in my life and it hurt.
    If I had been wearing a cycle helmet it would not have hurt.
    If I come off my bike I am highly likely to hit my head and it will hurt if I am not wearing a helmet...........so I wear a helmet.

Its a bit like listening to music when you cycle. Its your head and your choice.

I do not think it should be compulsory because I think you should put one on because you understand what can happen if you do not and choose to, not because someone tells you to.

I have little sympathy for people who choose not to wear one and end up with a serious head injury because of that choice.

Its like driving a car without a seat belt or using a chop saw/bench saw without a guard or driving a speedboat without the cutout cord attached to your wrist.
    Great when it works, but "if only" when it goes tits up!