shoes for higher arches and wider feet

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
i have been given the go ahead for for new shoes for my birthday, so i thought i should start my research! :D
currently i wear magic pro road, which have been good but actually having high arches and not overly narrow feet i think i can find better fitting shoes. i do intend to go and try on lots, but basically i thought id put it out there and see what others might have with similar foot shapes. cheers
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    I don't have high arches bu my feet are fairly flat/wide, I can recommend Giro shoes. I am currently using the Empire and I love them, I know the laces issue can polarize opinions.

I also tried the Pro light and both are much wider than many other shoes I have tried, and I've tried a few this winter. Best thing for you is the Giro adjustable instep so you can have a lot of support there if you need it.
  • ianbar
    thats good advice cheers i will look into that. as i say i will look into quite a few. I'm taking bike to lbs on monday so will start my research then
    enigma esprit
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Shimano do extra wide fit sizes, might give you a hand :)
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    You can get inner soles for higher arched feet - Specialized do some for about £20 etc
  • ianbar
    its not the underside of my arches thats the problem, maybe I'm describing it wrong. the top of my foot is quite high, my arches are high but not massively so and don't cause any trouble, but my for is tall for the want of a better word, and i do think at times that shoes (generally) are tight on top.

ps. wil look into shimano, ta
    enigma esprit
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    See this thread viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12935816&p=18740794#p18740794

Fiziks can be had with huge discounts (I bought a pair) and can confirm they come with high arches (too high for me - I actually swapped the footbeds for something lower). Great value though
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • adam0bmx0
    adam0bmx0 Posts: 263
    Agreed, go for the Fizik's.!
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • Bont Wide fit

http://shop.bontcycling.com/collections/road-shoes

order from there take about 2-3 weeks to come - great arch support and the only true wide fit I could find anywhere. I wouldn't use anything else.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    You can get inner soles for higher arched feet - Specialized do some for about £20 etc

I can't find anywhere that has the green ones in a 43 for love nor money.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Go try a few Northwaves on
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Not Gaerne. I bought a pair of their at the time top line shoes in 2 sizes up to cater for foot expansion during exercise, and they squeezed the foot from the sides in both shoes. A lot of money wasted when I sold them for a 3rd of the price after just a couple of rides. My cycling buddy and I both have small but wide feet and have found for him Bont Vaypor plus and me DMT Prisma 2 Team cater for our needs. Very light and comfortable and we both find the boa tightening mechanism works for us. But whatever you choose, try and find somewhere that has them in stock for you to try them on before buying and ask to try them on a turbo. What feels comfortable standing and walking around in the shop can feel totally different once your foot starts expanding with exercise.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Compared to the Fizik, Giro + Spesh high arch insoles, the Bonts don't really gave that much arch support. I have tried them all and even with the heat molding you won't get the Bonts close in terms of arch support.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    +1 for Giro.

They do a wide fitting and they have a number of inserts to support different arches. I have high and wide feet and the Giro Trans are supremely comfortable !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    No personal experience, being medium to narrow fitting however, a good friend is wide fitting and was happy with a pair of Northwave shoes. He has since changed to Sidi in their Mega fitting (wide) and prefers them. Personally, I reckon Sidi make some of the best quality shoes available - more than can be said for their in-soles which are legendary for not providing anything other than a splash of colour! I tend to use the Spesh footbeds with mine.

Peter
  • NWW
    NWW Posts: 7
    I also have high arches which can cause foot numbness as many of the closures cut off the blood supply at the top of the foot. After trying many brands I've settled on Lake (who also do a wide fitting). The Boa tightening mechanism allows the pressure to be more evenly spread across the foot and I've found them really comfortable.
  • ianbar
    thank you for all your advice. NWW i do get numbness sometimes not all the time strangely though. i like sidi so will be hoping they work out for me.
    enigma esprit
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... ace-48184/

If you haven't already taken the plunge they miight help :)
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2