Of Campagnolo cables... Full length Outers and Differences

g00se
g00se Posts: 2,221
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

I'm currently setting up a new bike - it has internal cable routing but requires full length outers to pass through the frame (it's a bit odd in that way - the top tube brake cable guides in the frame are not stepped to hold the outer - but there is an internal guide passing all the way through the frame to hold the outer).

I'm using Campag ultrashift cables (4.1mm gear outers, 4.9mm brake outers) but the Campag cable kits do not come with long enough housings for such continuous runs of outer.

Does anyone know if you can get Campag outers in long lengths?

What would be good alternatives? It'll be my 'Sunday Best' - so looking for a decent set of cables. I'm assuming I'll have to go with either original Campag inners due to the nipple designs - or replacements specifically designed for Campag.

Cheers

Comments

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Bike shops usually buy outers in long rolls for their own mechanics use. Go to your local LBS and ask them for whatever length you need, I am sure they will have them. The kits are a ruse for making lots of money. I also don't think you need Campag specific outers either. However don't forget to get different brake and gear outers, you do need these to be specific to the job they are doing.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    If you buy the genuine Ultrashift cable pack then one of the lengths is long enough to meet any need.

My Colnago's run internally and the outer for the rear brake is always long enough.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Ah - OK. if the brake housing is sorted, then it's just the gears. As there are no bosses, I'll need to add an in-line adjuster for the front mech (and for the rear for completeness). I can use the campag gear outers for the bar-end of those and just some standard outers through the frame.

Cheers guys.
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    g00se wrote:
    As there are no bosses, I'll need to add an in-line adjuster for the front mech

I've got a Bianchi Sempre with internal cabling and Athena changers and was able to set up the front mech without in-line adjusters. After setting the inner and outer stop levels, it only required a few minutes (OK, quite a few) adjusting the cable in the clamp to get the set-up right. It hasn't needed any subsequent attention (I've seen it claimed that the in-line adjusters can add some drag to the cable movement but don't know one way or another if that's correct).