Boardman Hybrid Wheel Problems

PON
PON Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Commuting general
Hi All

I'm new and I was just wondering has anybody had the same problem as I've had with my Boardman hybrid wheels.

I have the Boardman comp hybrid (white and yellow markings)

I have had my bike about 14 months and I use it to commute to work most days (decent weather permitting, 50 miles per week), that said when I got it we had that really bad winter and the wettest spring on record so I didn't use the bike much as it was all new and shiny (I have four bikes to choose from) so this wasn't a problem. When I started riding the bike I noticed the wheels were going out of true after about four months and I took it back to Halfords after some negotiation and after I had convinced them I hadn't been down the BMX track doing back flips they agreed to sort them. Again after a period of time the wheels went out of true againg, this time I opted for my LBC to true the wheels. When I collected them the woman at the shop said the mechanic wanted to see me, he told me the wheels were poor quality (Alex DP17) and he said has they would go again. I rode to work the following day and after a 6 mile journey the back wheel was buckled again when I arrived at work. I know I haven't hit any major pot holes and i'm not jumping up and down curbs. I did manage to speak to a Boardman rep who was very nice but told me it was just one of those things, he continued to say he only delt with the top end stuff! Which did gaul me as it's blokes like me buying the bottom end stuff on mass that allows them to build their business. He told me to go back to Halfords which I'm doing on Sunday.....wish me luck!

Ohh and it's had a bottom bracket, which has gone again!!!

I would really like to hear from anybody who has been in the same situation or is it just me!

Comments

• PON
    PON Posts: 3
    I have checked and I have the 4D/XR wheels not the (Alex DP17) sorry to the Alex DP17 people!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Guess what? Even low quality wheels stay true if they are tensioned correctly... many shop mechanics don't know much about tension and think that a good squeeze is all you need to assess if the spoke is tensioned or not... which is true if you have 30 years experience of squeezing spokes on a daily basis, less so if you don't...
    My guess is that your (poor quality) wheel is not tensioned correctly and therefore goes out of true every other ride.

Solution? Take it to somebody who can do a good job or learn to do it yourself... it is easier than piloting an A 380, which is pretty easy... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most the Boardmans are on formula wheels (hubs and rims) despite what the sticker may say and if built properly there is no reason they shouldn't stay true.

I'm with Ugo, I suspect 2 shop oiks both just moosed up some spokes to pull it straight rather than re-tensioned it correctly.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.