Headset Bearings Removal

sundaytrucker
sundaytrucker Posts: 51
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, my Voodoo Bizango was lent out to my brother a short while ago and since it's return I have had a few problems. I need to service/re-lube the headset bearings but I am having trouble finding information on how to remove them. I have looked at multiple online guides from the likes of Dirt, MBR and the Bike Radar site but not one seem to cover the bearings in the Voodoo. Bike Radar call these bearing 'inset steering bearings'. So I was wondering whether it is possible to remove these at home without speciality tools or whether it is going to have to go to the LBS.

Many thanks

Bottom
12873549574_953bd9ca79.jpg
image by sunday-trucker, on Flickr

Bottom
12873549574_953bd9ca79.jpg

12873221933_d8a0fc8854.jpg

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You should be able to use your fingers, or at worst a bit of assistance from a screwdriver.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    You should be able to use your fingers, or at worst a bit of assistance from a screwdriver.

No go on fingers I even gave the screwdriver a soft tap with a hammer. I will stick some pictures up shortly.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Looked on Parktools?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Looked on Parktools?

I had a look over Park tools as a first resort (great info on there) but couldn't find anything useful for this subject, maybe I am being a bit thick and missed it but every source for headset bearing removal seems to echo cooldad's post.

Edit: having a better look over Park Tools website (with a clearer head) I am wondering whether my headset is a type of cartridge/cup single unit as briefly mentioned on this Park Tools page http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/headset-standards.

It looks unlikely that user service is on the cards without shelling out x amount on tools so I think I will run my bike into Halfords and have them sort it. Thanks for the input guys.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ZS headset.
    Looks like the beRings are part of the headset.

Headset removal tool of similar needed, or similar.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    That's a semi integrated, semi sealed headset like the ones that come standard on Carrera bikes. The loose/caged bearings are fully serviceable if you gently prize out the plastic seal or metal circlip.

The whole bearing unit can be removed in the usual way: use a metal rod and hammer to knock the bearing out. But, use a big diameter rod or knock close to the headtube sidewalls if you intend to reuse it as the internal cup part (which forms part of the bearing race) is easily deformed by hammering.
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    semi_integrated_aheadset_01_zps34cc670c.jpg

semi_integrated_aheadset_02_zpscd294c76.jpg
  • Thanks to everyone who got involved. I ran the bike into Halfords this morning before the last few posts. Hopefully they will have it sorted ready for a ride next weekend.