Cole T24 wheelset maintenance

tdenmanbrice
tdenmanbrice Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Cyclocross
So I recently acquired a used set of Cole T24 tubular wheels, of the original DSA generation with brass colored drums.
They're in good shape rim wise, but the bearings all seem to have gotten a bit, friction-y. They still roll without any hops, clicks, or grinding; it's just not the weightless smooth spin I'm used to in a wheel.

They are easy enough to get to, using just a couple 5mm keys, but extracting them from the wheels to inspect / replace is another story. The front bearings sit just underneath an alloy end-cap on each side, but are tightly seated, and I cannot for the life of me determine how to extract safely. Same story for the rear, they're all visible, but not easily gotten at.

My question is for anyone who rides Coles and can offer up experience on working on the hubs. The preload seems easy enough, just using the two caps on each hub, but with all caps removed (no pre-load at all), they still roll a bit sluggish.

Attached are photos of front and rear hubs. The rear non-drive seems to be under a rubber gasket of some sort, and the freehub outer bearing is also underneath something, and also probably in need of replacing.

Thanks in advance to anyone with information.

Teddy DB

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Normally you would insert an allen key of the appropriate size in the slot and hammer on it until the bearing on the opposite side comes off. The second bearing will be extracted in similar fashion
    left the forum March 2023
  • Do you mean to just sort of rattle the opposite bearing out? There is no way to get at the backside of the opposite bearing by poking through the axle, so it wouldn't be possible to tap it out, and after some effort, popping them out by rattling and / or gently whopping the axle against a tabletop did not work.

As for the rear hub the non-drive rubber seal was removed easily enough, as was the metal ring on the outboard freehub side, but they are wedged in place similarly to the front.

So far Cole has yet to respond to my emails inquiring, and there is little to no information on them on the interwebs. Very elusive.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    THey look like normal hubs to me, the axle has a lip inside that holds it in place, if you don't know how to remove the bearings, just take them to your shop
    left the forum March 2023