Altura 2014 who's going?

jon1993
jon1993 Posts: 596
edited March 2014 in XC and Enduro
Round1 in Dalby anyone know what route there planning on taking? And who's going?
Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
Giant Faith 2 DH bike
Boardman pro 2011
Boardman team carbon 2010
Carrera kracken 2009
Specialized fsr pro 2009
Haro custom build
Cannondale custom build

Comments

• jon1993 wrote:
    Round1 in Dalby anyone know what route there planning on taking? And who's going?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
  • I was thinking of going. It would also be my very first MTB race, could anyone advise me on whether it is suitable for a first time racer?
  • jon1993
    What previous experience riding have you got because its a relatively difficult track as is steep up hills and down hills. I will be entering the fun category so it is exactly that just for fun no points gained and all the good people will be in the ranked races but competitive so its aimed at beginners so as long as you have the ability to ride mainly red with a little touch of black grade at trail centres you will be fine (much more red than black though) most features you will be able to avoid on the B line if they even include them which I don't think they are.
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • I've been Mountain Biking for three years. I regularly ride the 7stanes, Whinlater, Grizedale and Kielder which are all local to me. Plenty of red & black. Reasonably fit. I've never been to Dalby before though. I'm not concerned about the difficulty in the track TBH but I have never ridden competitively before which I'm sure will come with it's own difficulties.

How do the categories work? Do they do the fun category at a separate time or is it a staggered start with the other classes?
  • jon1993
    You will be completely fine honestly there will definitely be people much worse than you there if that's the case you may actually do alright. I have just found out there missing the hardest feature although medusas is still very difficult definitely needs a look before attempting there's a definite right and wrong line which has a percentage success rate but there will be a easy B line that's not to much longer. Dalby has a habit of being averagely difficult then shoving a very difficult objects in the way. My first experience of racing the other week was in a mixed race so it had everyone from seasoned racers that did 8 laps to people that only did 4 in the same time(got lapped 4x). To be honest they would have struggled on red but it was pretty much a grass track. This will be much better in that all the "good people" will be in the higher categories anyone that's very good will be in higher categories. You sound pretty much the same as me although Dalby is my second home.

categories go....
    Fun (non ranked no points gained just doing it for enjoyment as it suggests)

next lot have race licences competing for points once they get so many in a year the can move up a category from my understanding but I am no expert. Even sport just requires you to buy a licence its the starting point for competitive mtb racing.
    sport (people who want to race competitively)
    expert (very good people some sponsored)
    elite (the likes of hope, trek ect racing teams fully sponsored with big names)

All these will be at Dalby althoughhhhhh non of those 3 groups will be racing at the same time as us we will be setting of by our selves I believe the race is fun category is actually aimed at first time racers to get you into the sport.
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • Thanks for your help! I've just signed up.
  • jon1993
    great see you there ill be the one on the spark 30 with my mate who's on his Carrera Vulcan what bike you planning on riding? what tyres?
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • I'll be on a Cube LTD pro. Not sure what tyres to take. I have a set of Maxis Beavers which I've been using over winter and a faster rolling pair of Schwalbe Rapid Robs. If you can do a practice run I'll take both and decide on the day depending on how muddy it is.
  • jon1993
    I went today and it was as dry as it gets but there is one bit I think is going to catch a few people out in our category particularly as there's a blind corner at the back side of the field where it was absolutely sobbing wet and very Slippery that said its a very good track and 2 absolute killer climbs. I bought a racing ralph ran with a nobby nic at the end of its life didn't feel like I had enough grip at some points. Still not sure if to use my FS or HT though as there's some rough bits but there's plenty of climbing too so its a tough one as both weigh exactly the same due to my FS being carbon and my HT being aluminium
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • YellaBelly
    YellaBelly Posts: 130
    Surely if your full suss weighs the same as the hardtail it's a no-brainer. Those climbs aren't exactly fireroads, the rear sus will give you better traction, and at the same weight where is the downside?
  • Thanks for the heads up. Think I'll leave my winter tyres on as the default before arriving then.
  • jon1993
    How did everyone do? cant believe I missed out on second ;( stupid tyre getting ripped of the rim having to slam on for a girl who got stuck on that little hill entering the field so I ended up coming in 4th so gutted!!! Also cant believe I missed the presentation. The timetable they sent us said it was at 4ish so I came back for then to be told they did it after the race anyway lesson learnt lol.
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • I don't know what place I came. Do you know when they put the results online? It's nowhere near fourth, I know that much. I got swamped in the start and ended up in major traffic on the first lap. Loved it though. Brilliant course.

I didn't catch the presentation either. I also thought it was at 4:30 and didn't want to wait 5 hours with a three hour drive home.

Do you know what happened with the lad who got injured? He looked to be in a serious amount of pain when I passed him on the first lap and was strapped stiff to a stretcher on the second lap.

edit: just seen on facebook he's ok with a lot of superficial injuries.
  • jon1993
    The results....
    http://www.nutcrackermtb.co.uk/results.html

I was really annoyed that they sent an email to everyone saying it was later on and then did it at a different time but it looked the same for the presentations I did catch as their was not many people there even the ones receiving awards. Its good to hear he is ok that looked like a really nasty one although I couldn't understand how he did it wasn't that part relatively flat? 2nd got a £40 prize ;( least I got a free set of brake pads still pleased with my result maybe next time XD
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • YellaBelly
    YellaBelly Posts: 130
    What placings had prizes Jon? I was under the impression it was just the top 3. Did they include the top 5 or something?
  • jon1993
    Yes it goes on the number of entries so usually top 3 but because there was so many they did top 5. First got £80 for something couldn't tell what, second got 40 third 20 fourth brake pads not sure about 5th.
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • jon1993
    I will add I only found this out when i asked what position I ended up coming and they had something for me after realising the presentation had already been done.
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • So how does Gandale compare to Dalby? I'm thirsty for more.
  • jon1993
    watched the vid on youtube of It and it looks a pretty good track tbh don't think it will be as good as Dalby but its certainly not bad. You basically have to bike down a steam by the looks of it and across a water crossing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZIwc9Yr9x0
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build