Would you break your chain?

Cumm1ngs
Cumm1ngs Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Would you break your chain for a split link for more effective and easier cleaning?

Or wait until you need to use one?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unless it's a Shimano chain it will already have one. And pretty much every new chain needs sizing on the bike anyway, so again, it will have one (unless the stupid Shimano pin has been used).
    But no, I don't clean chains, just use Squirt until they die.

Although I only use KMC chains, so mine all have one anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I use a breaker but never take them off till the chain is shot. I have a chain cleaning device that you fill with degreaser and it clips over the chain.
    Well recommended.
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    Don't break them unless you absolutely have too buy a chain cleaner you can get them for £8 on eBay also buy a big 2.5l (can get smaller) engine degreasant for about £9 it will last forever and cleans them like new removing every bit of grit and crud.
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,153
    I use SRAM chains so they come with the split link and I take the chain off to clean it.

I have a second split in the chain so I can remove as section to allow me to run single speed in case I bust my rear mech. It has come in useful many times.

I've never had a chain fail at the quick link, it's always been elsewhere so I don't have any doubts regarding their strength.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Yes Quick links or whatever the brand is called are one of the great MTB inventions. I wouldnt use a chain without one if you paid me those nasty pins are the worst POS.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Cumm1ngs
    Cumm1ngs Posts: 13
    Thanks guys.

Engine de-greaser?? Is this a common solution?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't use grease and you don't need degreaser.

I can't recommend Squirt enough - read the instructions, apply properly and you'll never have gunky chains again.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    its stronger than chain degreaser and get in massive amounts for little cost compared to the bike specific ones which comes in tiny quantity and is weaker plus it often costs more.
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    cooldad wrote:
    Don't use grease and you don't need degreaser.

I can't recommend Squirt enough - read the instructions, apply properly and you'll never have gunky chains again.

Another vote for Squirt here too.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    no. i squirt a bit of lube onto the chain whcilst on the bike, then wipe of excess. chain gets split when it is worn.

invest in a chain wear gauge.
  • D4V1D
    D4V1D Posts: 233
    I wash mine with soapy water & brush to remove the mud and grit, Then carefully clean the side gaps between the plates with a wire brush if there is still a lot of mud & grit in there. Then cover with a fine oil lube over night to soak in. The day of the ride, (clean off oily lube if any is left) use dry or wet lube depending on weather conditions.

I use to take my chains off and clean them in jam jars of solutions but found it just as easy to wash them on the bike.
    I'm not a racer, but I like to churn out 2-3hr rides,
    I love Cannock and Llandegla cycle parks.
    Cube Acid 2010
    Upgraded RockShox Reba RL Forks, twin air.
    Updrade RockShox dropper seat post.
    Went tubeless DIY style using a 20" BMX tube. Lasting well.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    cooldad wrote:
    Unless it's a Shimano chain it will already have one. And pretty much every new chain needs sizing on the bike anyway, so again, it will have one (unless the stupid Shimano pin has been used).

Or if its a campagnolo chain...like my 11sp I fitted over the weekend. Of course, I had to shorten the chain to length but instead of using the stupid fiddly pin you're supposed to use, I just fitted an 11sp quicklink. Been using one for ages and never had a problem.

So to answer to OPs question, yes, I would fit one from day 1 since you have to connect the chain up somehow and a quicklink is a lot less faff than a pin. Plus its a doddle to remove the chain for cleaning (if thats your thing)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Thanks roadie.