Importing turn by turn + elevation data into Garmin

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
edited March 2014 in Road general
I've just got a Garmin 810 and am really surprised and frustrated by how complicated it seems to be to set a route on the Garmin that will allow me both turn by turn data and also elevation data :( :roll: . As far as I can work out, if I map something on the garmin connect site, that will let me generate turn by turn data, but when it imports as a .fit file, it won't have any elevation data (i.e. I can't see the profile for the rest of the route). If I map on e.g. bikely, then I think that perhaps I can't get the turn by turn data, but I'm not entirely sure. Surely there must be a way of doing both, that somebody out there might be able to help me with?
Thanks

Comments

• topcattim wrote:
    I've just got a Garmin 810 and am really surprised and frustrated by how complicated it seems to be to set a route on the Garmin that will allow me both turn by turn data and also elevation data :( :roll: . As far as I can work out, if I map something on the garmin connect site, that will let me generate turn by turn data, but when it imports as a .fit file, it won't have any elevation data (i.e. I can't see the profile for the rest of the route). If I map on e.g. bikely, then I think that perhaps I can't get the turn by turn data, but I'm not entirely sure. Surely there must be a way of doing both, that somebody out there might be able to help me with?
    Thanks
    For every route/course however generated you can enable turn by turn directions on the garmin.
    To do this go to the course and then the tool icon, ensure that turn guidance is selected to on. By default on the 800 it is set to off. Not sure on the 810.
    Its a "feature" to have guidance turned off on a navigation device. :(

8507055895_0cf66d64cb_o.jpg
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Thanks Freezing77. The 810 menu seems to be set up slightly differently but I managed to get turn by turn through a gpx file as you suggested from bikely. Looks as though bikeroutetoaster is back up again which should make things easier as well.