new shifters

snowster
snowster Posts: 490
edited March 2014 in The workshop
I am looking to replace my gear shifters I currently got a boardman hybrid comp with SRAM X5 - 3x9 Triggers i just can't get used to having no gear indicators ie numbers so anybody know of a good replacement, and a ruff ideal how much it would cost to have them fitted?

Comments

• mattbabs
    mattbabs Posts: 86
    The photos on the SRAM website show X5 shifters with indicators. I don't know if this means they've been redesigned but would seem the ideal replacement if you can get them. Replacing them would be a straightforward job although you could consider replacing your cables at the same time as you'll have to remove them anyway. I might be wrong but I don't think you can use non-SRAM shifters with SRAM gears so you can't just switch to Shimano shifters.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've tried and I can't find any photo's of X5's without indicators, either the wrap round the clamps ones or the on top stylee..... Or do you want each gear numbered?

New shifters will come with new inner cables.

Best bet is to by from an LBS and get them to fit as well, they'll usually charge a nominal amount if you buy the parts from them.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.