first full year without car

Pep
Pep Posts: 501
edited March 2014 in Commuting general
Age 40 here. Been cyling commute since primary school, that makes it >30 yr.

Yesterday for the first time (since I had my own car ~10yr ago) I finally made a first full year without a single car commute to work.

Happy :)

Comments

• Whiz
    Whiz Posts: 28
    Congrats!
    That's a great achievement :-)
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    Well done congrats just a quick couple of question 1, How far do you commute? 2, At what time do you start work? 3, How many hours do you work a day? at where do you find the motivation
  • Pep
    snowster wrote:
    Well done congrats just a quick couple of question 1, How far do you commute? 2, At what time do you start work? 3, How many hours do you work a day?

Commute distance has changed many times since I started. Nevertheless today shortest way is 14km each way, flat, ugly, urban, and boring.
    I just happen to like running (used to be good, many injuries ago) and swimming too (always been bad).
    Schedule changes much day to day (occasionally I work shift, occasionally much longer than 12hr), but most often is this:

Running days (Tue,Thu): run 6:00-7:00AM, then shower, stretching, breakfast, and start work 9:00, leave 17:00-19:00, this I would say is most common.
    Swimming days (Mon,Wed,Fri): leave home 6:30, cycle to pool, swim 40-60min, breakfast at the local gorgeous bakery, start work 9:00. Lucky simmingpool is 1min walk from work (we are moving, it will be 3-4km eventually, no good).
    Weekend: early morning run, and then family day (often some cycling, and/or take young child to "swim"). Occasionally evening short ride (summer) or turbo (winter).
    snowster wrote:
    at where do you find the motivation
    I just like cycling, hate cars (I do own one), and need to travel A to B.

I'd like to do more sport but time does not allow, life comes in between, already building too much sleeping deficit to do more sport.
  • Big Ted
    Big Ted Posts: 330
    nice one.

impressive stuff. i've lost the love this year a bit after several years of bike commuting.

A whole year with no car commute would be quite an achievement..mmm..interesting goal/idea....!
    Big Ted Rides Hard...
  • snowster
    Great achievement I just can't find the motivation to get out of bed at 4.30 for a 7 mile commute then 12 hours at work before the cycle home any help welcome.
  • snowster
    Great achievement I just can't find the motivation to get out of bed at 4.30 for a 7 mile commute then 12 hours at work before the cycle home any help welcome.
  • Pep
    That's hard.

But what's the alternative. Driving?
    For me it would be a no brainer.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Pep wrote:
    That's hard.

But what's the alternative. Driving?
    For me it would be a no brainer.

Driving is probably quite nice, Devon isn't that built up plus being early would make for probably a rather nice drive to work, I always enjoyed the 8 mile drive to work when I was a postie, living in the Brecon Beacons leave at 4.45am over the mountain to be in work by 5am. No bikes at work either as the land wasn't suitable.

Thinking about it did used to pass coming slowly up the hill a guy on a bike with a very faint yellow light, he can't of been able to see a thing, this is a area that has sky's dark enought to see the edges of the Milky Way.
  • Dannyboy95
    Dannyboy95 Posts: 245
    snowster wrote:
    Yh im the same i have a 12 mile ride each way im desperate to get on it but i can find the will power to get in a routine when i can just get up and jump on my moped and im there in 20 mins so much easier but need to get my arse in gear
    cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
    Current Bike-TREK 4500
    Previous Bikes
    :Giant Roam 3
    :Bianchi Nirone 7