Condiments

arran77
arran77 Posts: 9,260
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
I like a bit of banter but sometimes things get a bit heavy!
woodstock_woodstock_male_happy_smiley_emoticon_0.gif

So a simple, light hearted question, what's your condiment of choice if you fancy a dollop?
"Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn

Comments

• lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Mayo mixed with sweet chilli on Sweet potato wedges.

Prepare to never be race weight again.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Salad cream just pips it of the two.

However, aioli wins in the all-time condiment stakes for me.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Being Friday I will be having a fry up for lunch so brown sauce is the only choice.
    Out of the two in the poll, mayo. Rarely eat salad.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Monkeypump wrote:
    YES.

NOM.
  • arran77
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Rarely eat salad.

Neither do I but I'm trying to be good :roll:

Mayo is awesome for dunking chips in but salad cream is good in a fish finger buttie :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Given a choice, neither. But sometimes, food comes preprepared with mayo and I just have to get on with it and try to swallow, chewing as little as possible.
    I have never tried salad cream, it just looks gopping. Food of the Devil!
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    Given a choice, neither. But sometimes, food comes preprepared with mayo and I just have to get on with it and try to swallow, chewing as little as possible.

No. That is eggy bread. We've talked about this before.

Eggy Bread is the food of the Devil and olives are Satan's ar5e grapes. This is indisputable and anyone that says otherwise is in league with Lucifer.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • arran77
    Ballysmate wrote:

No. That is eggy bread. We've talked about this before.

Eggy Bread is the food of the Devil and olives are Satan's ar5e grapes. This is indisputable and anyone that says otherwise is in league with Lucifer.

I agree on the olive's, they serve no useful purpose, eggy bread on the other hand with a good fry up, yes please 8)

seanoconn
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,090
    edited February 2014
    Now, now, K_B, don't be ride to the guests. Especially when they are right.

I quite often finish up the littl'uns leftovers, and they unfortunately seem to like the blasted stuff (SC). Trouble is, I often don't realise it's contaminated until I'm half way through a fishfinger.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Agree wholeheartedly about olives.
    Why anyone would want them in a drink is mind boggling. Never mind eating them.
  • arran77
    rjsterry wrote:
    Now, now, K_B, don't be ride to the guests. Especially when they are right.

I quite often finish up the littl'uns leftovers, and they unfortunately seem to like the blasted stuff (SC). Trouble is, I often don't realise it's contaminated until I'm half way through a fishfinger.

Guest is a very polite way of putting it although it implies that someone is invited to be somewhere and I very much doubt that's the case.

It does also have the following meaning as well which may well be more apt :wink:
    A small invertebrate that lives unharmed within an ants' nest.

Maybe ants' nest is a metaphor for this place and crudders / BB'ers are the invertebrate :P

Anyway back on topic, the only correct gastronomic use for salad cream is with fish fingers in a buttie, white bread only :wink:

seanoconn
  • I always thought it was either custard or tomato ketchup with fish fingers? Not that I care, being a veggie and all.

Oh and if you want to try gopping: have a go at the Quorn fish fingers... There's a special level of hell reserved for the people that made that recipe up.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,643
    notsoblue wrote:
    Monkeypump wrote:
    YES.

NOM.

FFs it's just garlic mayo.

Mayo is my choice. Don't care how it comes. Garlicky, mustardly, whatever. As long as it is full fat.
  • notsoblue
    FFs it's just garlic mayo.

Mayo is my choice. Don't care how it comes. Garlicky, mustardly, whatever. As long as it is full fat.
    frietsaus
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Mayo with chips. Any of the flavours that you get in a Belgian chip van (plain included).

What's with all the dissing olives? Plebs...
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    edited February 2014
    Salad Cream and Mayonaise are essentially the same thing.

one os made from boiled eggs one isnt.

So when you are having that egg mayo sandwhich, you are basically having Egg Egg sandwhiches.

BTW its all about peps chilli jam, with EVERYTHING.

Olives rule
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • arran77
    I always thought it was either custard or tomato ketchup with fish fingers? Not that I care, being a veggie and all.

Oh and if you want to try gopping: have a go at the Quorn fish fingers... There's a special level of hell reserved for the people that made that recipe up.

Quorn I do not understand :?

If you're not going to eat meat or fish why try making something that looks like a sausage or fish finger!

seanoconn
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I am taking a stand.

Olives are amazing. Especially when fresh in a hot country with good fresh bread.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • notsoblue
    Lancew wrote:
    Olives are amazing. Especially when fresh in a hot country with good fresh bread.
    Fresh olives are awful! I naively tried one once straight from a tree in Tuscany and it was one of the most bitter things I've tasted.
  • This is a wind-up, right?

Picking the difference between salad cream and mayo is a bit like choosing between Trek and Spesh. I mean, technically there *is* a distinction, but really, who cares? :twisted:
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • arran77
    This is a wind-up, right?

Picking the difference between salad cream and mayo is a bit like choosing between Trek and Spesh. I mean, technically there *is* a distinction, but really, who cares? :twisted:

Not a wind up at all, like I said just a light hearted question :wink:

They don't look the same, they don't taste the same, they ain't the same :P

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Yes, olives have to be processed before they can be eaten. No good straight from the tree. They are good for making oil, not for eating.
    Quorn is just plain wrong.
    I guess 'frietsaus' just means 'chip sauce' or similar. Is that flavoured mayo?
  • arran77
    Apparently frietsaus is sweeter than mayonnaise and must not be confused with 'fry sauce' :wink:

seanoconn
  • notsoblue
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Yes, olives have to be processed before they can be eaten. No good straight from the tree. They are good for making oil, not for eating.
    Quorn is just plain wrong.
    I guess 'frietsaus' just means 'chip sauce' or similar. Is that flavoured mayo?
    I'm not sure how you make it to be honest, but it has a more creamy, fatty mouth feel, and is a little sweeter. Its delicious.

My favourite though is chips with sate sauce...

http://www.frietopia.nl/index.php?page= ... iet+Oorlog

*drool*

The dutch really know their chips...
  • arran77 wrote:
    I always thought it was either custard or tomato ketchup with fish fingers? Not that I care, being a veggie and all.

If you're not going to eat meat or fish why try making something that looks like a sausage or fish finger!

You're approaching it from the wrong end (as it were) It's to get people who eat meat to try something different. They make it look the same to get over the "all veggie food is weird" hurdle
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • BigMat wrote:
    Mayo with chips. Any of the flavours that you get in a Belgian chip van (plain included).

What's with all the dissing olives? Plebs...

250404fa49b78d6f15.jpg
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I love a vegitarian meal, I will quite often order a veggie option when I am eating out on the theory that they have to try harder to make it tasty due to the lack of meat.

Fish dont have fingers and chickens dont have drumsticks...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • arran77
    arran77 wrote:

You're approaching it from the wrong end (as it were) It's to get people who eat meat to try something different. They make it look the same to get over the "all veggie food is weird" hurdle

Interesting! How does that sit with a veggie like yourself then? I mean you've chosen not not eat meat or fish for one reason or another - don't know if it's ethical, taste, health reasons, whatever, it's none of my business - but does it bother you that the foods you eat are being made to 'look' like foods you chose not to eat?

seanoconn
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Sriracha. It's 'mazin' in a bacon+egg buttie.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • arran77
    davis wrote:
    Sriracha. It's 'mazin' in a bacon+egg buttie.

Noooooooo :shock:

Egg and bacon buttie = brown sauce :wink:

seanoconn