Is it worth it?

ibex26.2
ibex26.2 Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Good or bad. Worth it or not. Thanks in advance.
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... p-29#specs

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    No.
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Maybe
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Good & not respectively.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    It's a decent enough bike but for the money I'd look elsewhere.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • I can get this bike for $1430......should I pull the trigger?
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... er-comp-29
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Oh look same question as before.

Topics merged.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    My new helpful persona, so I brought all the answers together in on thread for ease of reference.
    cooldad wrote:
    Yes
    No.
    miceden wrote:
    Maybe
    chrisrobs wrote:
    Nope
    passout wrote:
    Good & not respectively.
    arran77 wrote:
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • To put try to be a bit more helpful, Specialized hard tails don't tend to be great value in the UK. But for people to comment on whether it is a good buy for you then we would need to know what alternatives you could get for a similar price wherever you are (US I presume?)

For what it's worth it seems a decent specced bike. But in the UK you could probably do better for £1k I would have thought.

Let us know your other options and you may get a more meaningful response.
  • cooldad wrote:
    My new helpful persona, so I brought all the answers together in on thread for ease of reference.
    cooldad wrote:
    Yes
    No.
    miceden wrote:
    Maybe
    chrisrobs wrote:
    Nope
    passout wrote:
    Good & not respectively.
    arran77 wrote:

I didn't specify the price on my original post. The LBS recently reduced the price so I wanted to know if the bike was worth buying for $1430. Thanks.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Assuming a 1.5 conversion (to allow for sales tax) then thats a £975 value or thereabouts. For that money thats a decent spec bike, and specialized know how to make good bikes, they just dont normally know how to price them. I say yes.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    Assuming a 1.5 conversion (to allow for sales tax) then thats a £975 value or thereabouts. For that money thats a decent spec bike, and specialized know how to make good bikes, they just dont normally know how to price them. I say yes.

Thanks benpinnick. Nicely put. Thanks for the thoughtful response. I appreciate it.

Just realized, is this a UK forum?

Thanks everyone!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    No probs. Yes this is a UK based forum but of course not exclusively UK only! The US equivalent (or nearest) is mtbr.com. Yanks are welcome here though, just don't expect us to start using the dollar or driving on the wrong side of the road.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    benpinnick wrote:
    No probs. Yes this is a UK based forum but of course not exclusively UK only! The US equivalent (or nearest) is mtbr.com. Yanks are welcome here though, just don't expect us to start using the dollar or driving on the wrong side of the road.

Or making bike frames from aloooooominum. Its fecking aluminium. ALUMINIUM, all those letters are there for a reason so use them.
    And then there's the metric system. Move in to the bloody 20th century. The imperial system was a terrible system which is why the rest of the world has ditched it.
  • cooldad
    benpinnick wrote:

Or making bike frames from aloooooominum. Its ******* aluminium. ALUMINIUM, all those letters are there for a reason so use them.
    And then there's the metric system. Move in to the bloody 20th century. The imperial system was a terrible system which is why the rest of the world has ditched it.

I speak as a metricated colonial, but let me see - here my speedo is in mph, people weigh using rocks, milk and beer come in pints.

As for Aluminiun, Sir Humphry Davy proposed the name aluminum, back before the element was officially discovered. However, the name 'aluminium' was adopted to conform with the -ium names of most other elements. In 1925, the American Chemical Society decided to go back to the original aluminum, so the United States uses a different name from most other countries.

So it was originally called aluminum by a pom. Go figure.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's about time we stopped using miles.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    benpinnick wrote:

or using Z in place of S and spelling colour color :lol:
  • cooldad
    It's about time we stopped using miles.
    Yep, furlongs might be a good replacement. To go with the weight rocks.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    I work with an American designer and according to him the metric system is over complicated!
  • cooldad
    I work with an American designer and according to him the metric system is over complicated!
    Maybe he has comes from the Ozarks and has twelve fingers
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Is it worth it at full price - no, not to me. At a new, lower, price then yes - its a nice bike after all.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • rockmonkeysc
    cooldad wrote:

He has two masters from MIT. Never met him so no idea about the number of fingers. He is called Chad and everyone called Chad is a tool.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

He has two masters from MIT. Never met him so no idea about the number of fingers. He is called Chad and everyone called Chad is a tool.
    Could be a hairdressing or barista course from this MIT.

MIT
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools