Cheap winter wheels

focuz
focuz Posts: 150
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking at either Shimano R501 £60 and RS11 £90, about the same weight etc. Heard bad reviews about the RS10's spokes and wondered if its the same for the RS11's, and have heard good reviews for the R501. I know the'll be nothing like my campag zonda's just need a cheap set.
Thanks

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Can you even get R501's (with the nice hubs and bladed spokes)?
    You see them on new bikes but they seem to be R500's (boring hubs and round spokes) when you try to buy as a wheelset.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    When I bought winter wheels I went for R501's from Ribble. I had the choice of plain gauge spokes or bladed which were a bit dearer. Went with the cheapest round spoke version. Like the security of the extra spokes compared with RS10's. Not sure what you mean about the hubs; any 'bling' is just a sticker.

Not sure if the spokes would be any easier to get hold of than the RS10's though. I have RS10's on the best bike; over 6 years old and never needed a spoke key let alone a spoke; just an annual clean / regrease of the bearings.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Lot of 'stickers' in the bike industry and all other industries then lol.

Personally I like things looking good and working well.
    If I can get something that works at least as good, but looks better. then I will.

Wether the R501 hubs look better is subjective of course but I just prefer them.
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    I have run Rs10 for the last 2 years, the spokes may or may not be tightened correctly when you get them ?

Check and tweak them if needed before you ride and they are ok, especially for £90 at PlanetX....

They roll well enough and get up any hill I come across up to 25%