Best v brake set?

raymondliu
raymondliu Posts: 56
edited February 2014 in Commuting chat
Interested in replacing the v brakes on my commuter bike. Would anyone be able to tell me which brands are the best for V brakes? i.e. Tektro or Shimano or Avid. Also in the Shimano franchising system, is XT better than Deore series at similar price levels?

Comments

• As with most rim brakes it's the pads that make the most difference unless the brakes are really bad they shouldn't make much difference.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    XT are better than Deore, the best V brakes were when they made them with the parallel push linkage but they were discontinued a while ago. Roger is right though, pad material will make more difference. I run Swisstop green in mine. I have Avid V brakes and find them very good, can't remember which ones though. Tektro generally are more of a budget option.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Shimano M970 XTR are parallel push, I have a set on a mountain bike, only really let me down in very wet conditions and when ice formed on the rims!

You should be able to pick up a set on eBay for ~£50
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are all as good as each other in my opinion, the pads are key.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I'm sick to death of mine, have a Tektro on the front and Deore on the back, frankly they are horrible, non-linear and a pig to balance.

Grrrr.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    SecretSam wrote:
    I'm sick to death of mine, have a Tektro on the front and Deore on the back, frankly they are horrible, non-linear and a pig to balance.

Grrrr.
    I'm surprised at that. Rode my old Marin with V brakes today as I was having a drink after work. They're not quite up to the standard of the discs on the Kinesis in the wet, but they're bloody good in what was horrible weather.