Etape Loch Ness

13»

Comments

• nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Indeed - worth taking a wee while to scour the photos. Another thing to try is to search for people who were with you in a group (if you remember their colours). I had 6 photos under my name but managed to find another 8 or 9.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    What were the roads like on the stretch along the south side of the loch? In decent shape?
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    Yeah, I thought they were better than the A82 North side.

On the North bit there was worn out car rut bits that were real bone shakers. Can't remember being bits like that on the South side.

And I got my highest speed on the South side.
  • nweststeyn
    The roads were fine! Rough surface at lots of points but very few potholes throughout - the worst bit was in Inverness in the final mile.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    5000 would be too many I think. It had a nice 'feel' to it because it was fairly small scale but I reckon 2-3000 would be an ideal number to give a good sense of occasion and not cause too much of a logistical nightmare as far as parking and accommodation go. Fantastic day though, really well organised and marshalled. I agree about the roads on the North, some really poor surfaces there. The bit of single track between Whitebridge and Foyers was like silk though, lovely surface, if a little steep in places :wink:
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    On the whole it was great .. Nice on closed roads too ... We noticed the reluctance to use the whole road, but trying to cross the white line at speed was tricky as it was very pitted and had cats eyes ... Mrs SB had her hands hit as someone passed ... But fortunately that was a minority..

A bit disappointed with all the pro's on the circuit who forgot they weren't in a race and discarded gel wrappers everywhere. First one I saw was after 7 miles .... ffs guys - keep it in your pockets ! Also - if you can't make it at least 20 miles before gelling up then you're not really a cyclist ....
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    My jelly babies melted in my back pocket, that wasn't nice.

Perhaps it was my fault for taking them out the bag and just chucking them in there.

And Strava reckons I came 68th, I think i'm going to believe that rather than the chip time....
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,549
    I know the original plan was just to close one lane of the A82 before the decision was made to shut it all down, on both sides of the loch.

I got the feeling people didnt get the update as there seemed to be a reluctance to use the whole road.

That was probably my fault. I was on P.A. duties and I was asked to brief people to stay to the left hand side to allow faster riders to pass on the right.

The organisation yesterday was fantastic. Well done to all the riders, volunteers, marshals etc.
  • nweststeyn
    Slowbike wrote:
    A bit disappointed with all the pro's on the circuit who forgot they weren't in a race and discarded gel wrappers everywhere. First one I saw was after 7 miles .... ffs guys - keep it in your pockets ! Also - if you can't make it at least 20 miles before gelling up then you're not really a cyclist ....

That's a shame to hear. In the defense of the guys who were really racing, I only noticed 1 gel wrapper on the entire 67 miles so I can only guess the wrappers were thrown down by later starters.