Help !! Crank

The secret rider
The secret rider Posts: 812
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Using a puller why won't the crank come off my cannondale ?

69B0319A-4FF8-43BB-8E14-C77AD8F62D04_zpsggryptmu.jpg

Comments

• Looks like splined one - different crank puller than square taper
  • Right ok I've used a normal crank puller hope I have not damaged it
  • The tip diameter of the puller is too small to push against the end of the bottom bracket.

A quick fix is to find some circular steel discs (or washers or coins) to fit onto the end on the BB for the puller to push against.
  • Tried that still no joy gave up before I break something I'll take to bike shop Saturday
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Check if the end of the Crank puller comes off to give you a smaller fit.

E.g http://www.evanscycles.com/products/top ... wgodigwA1Q
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Thanks mate I've givenup now and arranged for the bike to be taken into the shop tomorrow .

After using some "force" on the tool I want to check its all ok before big ride on Sunday
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    maringirl wrote:
    Looks like splined one - different crank puller than square taper
    Incorrect.

It is a power spline crank interface which requires the same crank puller to the square taper BB.

http://www.parktool.com/product/crank-p ... nks-ccp-22
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The secret rider
    The secret rider Posts: 812
    edited February 2014
    nicklouse wrote:
    maringirl wrote:
    Looks like splined one - different crank puller than square taper
    Incorrect.

It is a power spline crank interface which requires the same crank puller to the square taper BB.

http://www.parktool.com/product/crank-p ... nks-ccp-22

So why is it not coming out ? Perhaps because I did not take the silver lock type ring out you can see mangled in the hole ?

This is what I have perhaps I should have tried it without the "bigger" end on ?

Ahh well

http://www.parktool.com/product/univers ... anks-cwp-7

My only concern is that would I have damaged anything but using the tool above with the bigger end on and a spanner I was forcing it but not standing on it or anything

Would I have done any damage ?
  • nicklouse
    No idea, user error.

Incorrect tool?

No idea what tool you actually have.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse wrote:
    No idea, user error.

Incorrect tool?

No idea what tool you actually have.

Fair enough probably was user error :)

Any ideas ref damage tool is the same as the link I posted above mate
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Can't tell but that might be the end of the bb tool that you've jammed in there, the bit you should have removed first.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • I'll soon find out !
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It is a 'splined' fit not square taper, but could be Powerspline (normal remover works) or ISIS, Octalink or Howitzer (you need a larger one) - you haven't told us!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    The Rookie wrote:
    It is a 'splined' fit not square taper, but could be Powerspline (normal remover works) or ISIS, Octalink or Howitzer (you need a larger one) - you haven't told us!
    except that in the picture you can see the words Powerspline. ;)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Doh, missed that!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Doh, missed that!
    Your not the only one !
  • crank_pullers_01_zpsc91bf68c.jpg

crank_pullers_02_zps53d2ce32.jpg

This trivial issue should have been resolved ages ago.

OP, apply a bit common sense.

Screw the tip of your crank puller all the way out and visually check if it will butt against the circular recess (not the grazed silver part around it) in your picture.

If the tip diameter of your puller is either too big or too small, then my advice about putting circular discs into the recess still applies.

If you're wondering why I've pictured two crank pullers it's because these two cover the extraction of the majority of crank types. The one on the left did include a small metal cap to increase the tip diameter for ISIS and Octalink cranks but was not needed since the metal disc along it's length fulfills the same function.
  • Bike is at the shop now.

A combination of lack of planning + rushing meant common sense went out the window.

Completlly my fault. I live and learn.

The crank has come off but it has damadged the spline ends :( One of them things i guess.

Now looking for a new crankset to include BB, thread in buying advise.

The bike shop will look at it again tomorrow when they have more time as they only have 5 mins today due to the lack of notice i gave them ! . . fair enough.
  • Yep missed the obvious too!
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    nicklouse wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    except that in the picture you can see the words Powerspline. ;)

:lol: Magic!!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll: