Are my bearings on their way out?

Helmet1982
Helmet1982 Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in The workshop
Hi,

My bike has developed a definite rattle. It comes fron the rear axle, sounds like something rattling around in there and there are no loose parts that I can find. The bike is only 5 months old so Im a bit annoyed.

Assuming the bearings are shot, what is a good plan of action? Is it time for a new wheel (700c hybrid that will take my 38 mm marathon plus), shall I take it somewhere for repairs or could I even attempt this myself?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    My advice is to take it to a bike shop because it's probably not what you think, and diagnosing it remotely is nigh on impossible.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the bearings are rattling you would be able to move the wheel rim side to side, can you?

I suspect it is something else, perhaps nothing important or perhaps part of the freehub.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • OK Thanks. I'll take it to the LBS this weekend and see what they say.
  • If you grab the wheel and try to pull it side to side, if the wheel moves the bearings are loose and in this case you may be able to adjust the bearing if the wheel is not damaged. Take it to a cycle mechanic let them have a look.