Stop naming August Bank Holiday as Margaret Thatcher Day

2»

Comments

• I am not going to get drawn into a debate about Thatcher. This thread has chuff all to do about the miners strike and any "regulars" on here know my feelings on both subjects.

My statement was naming a HOLIDAY i.e. a day when you do not work would be the least appropriate memorial for her.

Perhaps re-naming Monday Thatcherday would be a more appropriate tribute as it is a working day and most people are at a morale low then, and as such it's the least liked day of the week.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I am not going to get drawn into a debate about Thatcher. This thread has chuff all to do about the miners strike and any "regulars" on here know my feelings on both subjects.

My statement was naming a HOLIDAY i.e. a day when you do not work would be the least appropriate memorial for her.

Perhaps re-naming Monday Thatcherday would be a more appropriate tribute as it is a working day and most people are at a morale low then, and as such it's the least liked day of the week.

Go on Frank. you know you want to. :lol::lol:
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Ballysmate, I held out for nearly a page 'n' half before I posted which is pretty good for me. :lol:

Alas, I will resist the temptation to repeat myself on the said subject again. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Thatcherday sort of sounds like Saturday....this could work
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    Frank, see my post on the first page of this thread. I rest my case :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    VTech wrote:
    I can't think of anything less appropriate than naming a holiday after her, after all she'd have had us working seven days a week if she could. That is those that still had jobs under her premiership.

What did she do that was so wrong ?
    The coal mining industry was a thing of the past, electricity was being plumbed into homes the length of the country and she wasn't going to be blackmailed.
    Why is it that so many of you don't look at the true criminal in all of this.
    Arthur Skargill who made countless millions of which many have failed to understand how !!!
    Whilst one group were picketing, another were digging roads and laying cables.

Think about it !

The only thing that her administration did wrong, was not putting in place an alternative job program for those miners that lost their jobs and regeneration of the mining villages which were left devastated after the pit closures. She did leave them high and dry.
    She was dead right to have taken on that ginger Shredded Wheat headed twunt. He orchestrated the riots and made the families of miners starve, whilst he sat in the back of his nice cosy warm Jag, sipping from a hip flask.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Frank, see my post on the first page of this thread. I rest my case :wink:
    It had been logged in my little leftie brain fella. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Mr Goo wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    I can't think of anything less appropriate than naming a holiday after her, after all she'd have had us working seven days a week if she could. That is those that still had jobs under her premiership.

What did she do that was so wrong ?
    The coal mining industry was a thing of the past, electricity was being plumbed into homes the length of the country and she wasn't going to be blackmailed.
    Why is it that so many of you don't look at the true criminal in all of this.
    Arthur Skargill who made countless millions of which many have failed to understand how !!!
    Whilst one group were picketing, another were digging roads and laying cables.

Think about it !

The only thing that her administration did wrong, was not putting in place an alternative job program for those miners that lost their jobs and regeneration of the mining villages which were left devastated after the pit closures. She did leave them high and dry.
    She was dead right to have taken on that ginger Shredded Wheat headed twunt. He orchestrated the riots and made the families of miners starve, whilst he sat in the back of his nice cosy warm Jag, sipping from a hip flask.

You have a very valid point. I think Arthur put the government into a position where all chance of negotiation was removed and in turn the minors were left with nothing.
    I grew up in Longbridge (northfield actually) and was around when 18600 people lost jobs over a ten year period but I also blame the ill informed employees for the damages there.
    The cars were rubbish, I worked on the new MG project and would you believe it that they are designed for a 6 year life !
    They were all told half of the staff need to go but instead allowed the phoenix 4 to come in and rob them all of their jobs.
    One of the 4 is my next door neighbour now and what does his wife do ?

She is head of government contracts for UK/China investments :mrgreen:
    Living MY dream.
  • ballysmate
    If, although it seems unlikely, the Sweaties vote YES for Indie, then there could be a case for an Alex Salmond bank hol.
    Anyone who can get rid of 40 Labour Mps from Westminster, ensuring a Tory majority, demands recognition. :lol:
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Ballysmate wrote:
    If, although it seems unlikely, the Sweaties vote YES for Indie, then there could be a case for an Alex Salmond bank hol.
    Anyone who can get rid of 40 Labour Mps from Westminster, ensuring a Tory majority, demands recognition. :lol:

Hence why Millipede is all for the Union.
    When the Scots do go indy, it will be quite amusing to see the introduction of tuition fees, prescription charges and the end of free eyesight tests. A colleague of mine who lives north of the border has always stated that the numbers just don't add up.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • ballysmate
    The referendum is getting few column inches south of the border. But go to a Scottish paper to see what raving clowns Salmond and his cohorts actually are.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I don't think many working scottish want independence. Again, these groups going after the ill informed voter to make a name even though they know its spells doom.
    Living MY dream.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Nail on head.

Can we vote for Scottish independence too? :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    ^^^this

on the topic of maggie day, as long as it's an extra bank hol i'm all in favour, they can call it arthur scargill day and that'd be fine too, but renaming a existing one is just tokenism
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny