What's an 'oppo' ?

robertrabbit
robertrabbit Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in The cake stop
Hi

Sorry for the random question but I asked for someone to give me a call '"and make sure it's him and not one of his 'oppos".

I was asked "what's an 'oppo" ? Does anyone know where it came from ? I know what I mean ie a minion, assistant, helper, but I don't know where to refer the original question to in order to prove I haven't made it up (have I ?)

Comments

• Perhaps from "Opposite Number"

Edit: http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictio ... glish/oppo "(slang) a counterpart in another organization" - so I think my guess above is correct.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Could be demeaning as in from "opportunity school" - a place where spastics or underachievers are sent to get them out of the mainstream education system. (harsh). :shock:

but I think they mean not one of the operational people ie a subordinate. :cry:
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    'Oppo' is a derogatory term in my books, someone lesser than yourself.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    I reckon it's an abbreviation of operative. Now being superseded by the slightly more derogatory 'minion'.
  • OPPO
    Naval slang - short for opposite number - for the person doing the same job
    as one's self in another watch or ship. In the former case, since you
    relieved each other (in the old two-watch days), it behoved you to become
    friends; thus the word Oppo came to mean Chum. On a two-watch watchbill, the
    name of a man's 'opposite number' in the other watch was shewn against his
    own name in the opposite column.

In common military use now simply to mean mate or colleague. Certainly not derogatory (or used to mean subordinate) - but perhaps the term has developed a civvy life of its own...
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Italian word for frog.
  • Chinese phone manufacturer, could he have chinese contacts?
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    [/quote]

In common military use now simply to mean mate or colleague. Certainly not derogatory (or used to mean subordinate) - but perhaps the term has developed a civvy life of its own...[/quote]

This for me too
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Italian word for frog.

It would be great if this was the meaning that was intended. "and make sure it's him and not one of his frogs". :lol:
  • Italian word for frog.

It would be great if this was the meaning that was intended. "and make sure it's him and not one of his frogs". :lol:

yes, yes, yes that's exactly what I meant :lol:

It was a saying passed down from my dad when we used to work together, I might just have to accept that he made it up and I have fallen for it !
  • From the online OED:

Etymology: Shortened < opposite number n. at opposite n., adj., adv., and prep. Special uses.
    slang (orig. Services' slang).

= opposite number n. at opposite n., adj., adv., and prep. Special uses. Occas.: a sweetheart, partner, or spouse.

1932 S. Knock Clear Lower Deck xxxvi. 262 On the bridge, he chuckles to his oppo, and in due course the messdeck gossips discuss their chaplain's penchant for the semi-nude.
    1942 Gen 1 Sept. 13/2 A sweetheart or companion in the navy is an ‘oppo’.
    1967 D. Reeman Deep Silence iii. 48 Me an' the kid is oppos, see?
    1971 B. W. Aldiss Soldier Erect 101 He's dotty on them W** gods, aren't you, Stubby, me old oppo?
    1989 Daily Tel. 11 Mar. (Weekend Suppl.) p. iv/6 Lightning and his oppo take over the ladles.
    2002 Western Mail (Cardiff) (Nexis) 29 Aug. (Sport section) 26 As for his oppo..his Test batting average was 112.00.
    opposite number n. a person or (occas.) organization holding an equivalent place or fulfilling an equivalent role to another specified person or organization in a different country, group, institution, etc.; a partner, a counterpart.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I call my peers my oppos. As in the person I operate with. In no way derogatory.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    In oil/petrochems the process operators were often called oppos. Not derogatory at all.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Interesting to hear the true meaning and origin. When I hear it it's usually used in the context of getting someone else to do something, hence my misunderstanding of the term.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    I think some of you 'oppo's are misunderstanding.

Now where's the Sugar Lord.
  • At work we have slang terms for drivers & operators when on patrol.

Driver - 'Drives'
    Operator - 'Oppo'

For example. "Who's your oppo today?"
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Isn't it a large African quadruped that hangs around in rivers?
  • arran77 wrote:
    'Oppo' is a derogatory term in my books, someone lesser than yourself.

Hi Vtec!
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Oppo for me was just someone in a another department or company who you were dealing with. So my 'oppo' would be an Engineer whereas when I asked the puchasing guy in my team to call his Oppo at anothe company, I was aking him to call their purchasing/contracts department.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Very common squaddie term. We call workmates "Oppos" all the time.
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    At sea it's your opposite number, as in workmates. Not derogatory
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    It's a word that military wannabes use to show how sad their lives have become :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • team47b wrote:
    It's a word that military wannabes use to show how sad their lives have become :D

Catering corp?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    team47b wrote:

Must admit hearing civvies using military jargon is right up there with seeing people wear DPM camouflage pattern clothing as fashion.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    Oppo = Opponent. 8)
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    team47b wrote:

Must admit hearing civvies using military jargon is right up there with seeing people wear DPM camouflage pattern clothing as fashion.

That's civvies mufti :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    team47b wrote:

Well my dad was in the navy for years and I grew up on a diet rich in naval slang. Food was inevitably scran, the laundry was dobying, and wherever we went we navigated via port, starboard, ahead and astern. I was joining him in having a tot of rum in my morning coffee at the age of 12. Oppo to me has always meant opposite number; certainly not a derogatory term.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    In common military use now simply to mean mate or colleague. Certainly not derogatory (or used to mean subordinate) - but perhaps the term has developed a civvy life of its own...

+1

It's just a hill. Get over it.