First proper road bike

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
I am sorely tempted to buy myself a decent road bike. Much of my time on it will be commuting about 9 miles each way and I have a Boardman Hybrid Pro which does this job already. Having said that I want to get into longer rides, not really sportives as I don't have the time as I work and have 2 kids who don't live with me so weekends is my time with them often.

But...I will be wanting to do rides with friends, up to 70/80 miles from time to time.

If I were to put a nominal budget of £2k into the ring, with the hope of not spending all of it initially, and more than happy to upgrade bit by bit, what would you suggest?

My heart goes Italian rather than American, I can't get my head round Specialized, Trek, Scott, Giant from a looks perspective really...a bit of romance perhaps.

Also happy to go for 2013 model year with a saving.

Any ideas.

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    A huge choice of lovely machines within this budget, are you leaning towards a sportive or gran fond frame for long distances? Planet X gives you a GF frame kitted out with Ultegra shiny stuff and you'll have enough left for a good wheel upgrade. What makes does your LBS support?
  • joelsim
    Probably GF for the comfort I think. I have a few LBS as I live in London so can visit a few. Just hoping for some insider knowledge before I did that.
  • On iPad so doing a linkie is a PITA, but I think Wiggle have a selection of Colnago Ace bikes on sale, worth a look for sure. Lovely looking bike, and should tick a fair few of the boxes you noted.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Joelsim wrote:
    I am sorely tempted to buy myself a decent road bike. Much of my time on it will be commuting about 9 miles each way and I have a Boardman Hybrid Pro which does this job already. Having said that I want to get into longer rides, not really sportives as I don't have the time as I work and have 2 kids who don't live with me so weekends is my time with them often.

But...I will be wanting to do rides with friends, up to 70/80 miles from time to time.

If I were to put a nominal budget of £2k into the ring, with the hope of not spending all of it initially, and more than happy to upgrade bit by bit, what would you suggest?

My heart goes Italian rather than American, I can't get my head round Specialized, Trek, Scott, Giant from a looks perspective really...a bit of romance perhaps.

Also happy to go for 2013 model year with a saving.

Any ideas.

I had a spesh which I got rid of for that reason.

I'd look at Willier first.
    Insert bike here:
  • joelsim
    On iPad so doing a linkie is a PITA, but I think Wiggle have a selection of Colnago Ace bikes on sale, worth a look for sure. Lovely looking bike, and should tick a fair few of the boxes you noted.

Funnily enough I was looking at that last night.