Pedals

rudivoller22
rudivoller22 Posts: 492
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Currently have a set of Look Keo Easy pedals which were my first venture into clip in pedals and are pretty much knackered after a solid few years.

Not had any major problems but given i need to buy some new ones anyway is there any advantage to upgrading or switching to spd-sl?
Cheers

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Currently have a set of Look Keo Easy pedals which were my first venture into clip in pedals and are pretty much knackered after a solid few years.

Not had any major problems but given i need to buy some new ones anyway is there any advantage to upgrading or switching to spd-sl?
    Cheers

I'd say probably not in that case :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,238
    Stick with what you are used to if you haven't had any knee problems etc.
  • They are the only clip in pedals I've ever ridden so no idea if they're rubbish or not or if others are better. They lasted nearly 3 years before giving up. Cleats tend to not be very durable but again that may be all cleats for all I know.

I did have one comedy clip in moment early on where basically I didn't and landed on my face. But I suspect that says more about me than the pedals! :)
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I'd highly recommend Speedplay Zeros. Very comfortable, easy to clip in and out, fairly light. Their major advantage is resistance free float and the fact that retention reliability and clip out forces are not linked.
    Having switched from SPD-SL to these 2 years ago I wouldn't go back.
    As always there is a down side: Speedplay Zeros require a little maintenance from time to time (greasing) and they're not nice to walk in although there is now a work around for that (keep-on covers).

However if you're happy with what you've been using there's no compelling reason to change.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Having run both Look and Shimano pedals, my recommendation would be to switch to Shimano. I have a couple of sets of dura ace, the oldest ones dating back to 2006 and they are still working perfectly well on the original bearings. This bike is used every day for commuting in central London (originally it was my only bike and was also used for weekend rides). Nothing has gone wrong and I can see no reason to upgrade them until something fails.

Another consideration for me is that the Shimano cleats are longer lasting/ more robust than the Look ones hence there is less frequency of faffing about changing cleats over.

There's nothing wrong with Look other than my suspicion that they are less bullet proof than the Shimano bearings. If yours are knackered after three years, that rather supports my theory!

Peter
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'll cast my vote for Shimano pedals. Been riding them for years, never had any problems, never had to do ANYTHING to them, other than a drop of oil or two on a couple of pivot points. Don't think you can ask any more from a pedal.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    If you have not had any problems stick with Look, if you use the Cafe covers the cleats will last a lot longer.
    Shimano are harder wearing and similar but not the same
    both in my opinion better than Time
    no idea about Speedplay