Freewheel issue

davekeogh
davekeogh Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
good afternoon,

im new to this not quite sure of proceedings but i have a single speed hub that id like to change to a 6 speed but im having trouble try to name the style of hub i have. when dismantling the freewheel body it had this cup type screw which when un screwed, the freehub body came away and a load of tiny bearing came out. but id like to try and replace the freewheel body with a longer body enough to fit a 6 -speed on. i have pictures hope someone can help just want to know what kind of freewheel body i need. i have pictures!!!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what bike did the wheel come with?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • err thats a good question,

as i bought the wheel off ebay i have know idea what they came off and the hubs being unbranded does help. i can get a photo of the original free hub body, will upload shorlty.
  • its not the actualy hub body that was on there but its the same.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I have a feeling is is a single speed only hub so you will not be fitting more gears on it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Looks a bit like a hope or superstar type hub. These are single speed specific. If you COULD get a different freehub body on it, you would be able to get a minimum of 7 speed (and that's with a spacer) onto it. 6 speed uses a totally different design of drive.
  • mattv wrote:
    Looks a bit like a hope or superstar type hub. These are single speed specific. If you COULD get a different freehub body on it, you would be able to get a minimum of 7 speed (and that's with a spacer) onto it. 6 speed uses a totally different design of drive.

thats a great idea but im having a hard time trying to track down a freehub like it.