Commuting with a toddler

cyclingprop
cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
edited February 2014 in Commuting chat
So, some friends of mine want to ride to their youngun's school with him attached (2 year old), drop him off and then carry on to work. Can anyone help in recommending child seats for bikes please? To them, safety for him is the highest priority.

Cheers
CP
What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I've used the Hamax ones for both of mine and had no complaints.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I use a Hamax Kiss mounted behind the saddle. No complaints, but if I were to have a 'moment', particularly when dismounting its a long way to fall. It also effects you centre of gravity substantially.

Trailers are safer in this regard, but Mrs A wouldn't let me get one for fear of someone not paying attention and running it over.

Not tried the handlebar mount seats.

I guess they all have their pros and cons.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    My wife uses a co-rider and has done since our son was about 2. She usually just unbolts the main part and leaves it at afterschool club when dropping him off and then carries on to work. Design has changed a bit since we got our one though!

http://www.co-rider.com/Co-Rider_Mark_III/Riding.html
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    The Hamax seats do take some getting used to: I stuck mine on my old Giant and it was almost unrideable with the 4yo on board*, but fitted to a much more stable Marin hybrid, it's fine. There's a chap who rides a BMC with Mavic Cosmics and a Hamax, so I guess it depends on the particular set up, rider and passenger.

*10st of me on a basic '90s steel frame + 2st of 4yo directly over the rear axle + the springiness of the Hamax system, made for some very interesting handling.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • arran77
    Asprilla wrote:
    I use a Hamax Kiss mounted behind the saddle. No complaints, but if I were to have a 'moment', particularly when dismounting its a long way to fall. It also effects you centre of gravity substantially.

Trailers are safer in this regard, but Mrs A wouldn't let me get one for fear of someone not paying attention and running it over.

Not tried the handlebar mount seats.

I guess they all have their pros and cons.

Mrs 77 had a 'moment' when one of ours was in it, he was sound asleep at the time, it woke him up but nothing else :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    There's a kids 'n' family forum on BR - might try there?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    The one in Halfords was much cheaper than the hamax for us (£30 new iirc), did the same job. I even got mine from ebay almost new for £10.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... wgoddDoA9A
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Used a Hamax I picked up second hand for both my crew. Liked it.... The most memorable moment I had with it was when after a long ride my lad fell asleep listing to one side. This really did ruin the centre of balance of the bike :D
  • When i bought one for my wife's bike (she rides to nursery 3/4 mile away, then another 1 mile to work) I talked to the dude at my LBS (which is fantastic, BTW) who used to run a bike rental firm in the New Forest. As such, he'd tested a fair few child seats and was pretty adamant that the Hamax efforts were the business, so we rolled with that and were very happy with it (she's now 4 years old, too big for this seat).

I am not a fan, at all, of the rear trailers, I just think they are below the sight line of drivers so very dangerous, but people who use them seem happy. I do, however, like those delivery style front seats (you can carry up to 2 munchkins), but it means the bike is quite a chunker if you're continuing a long way to work.
  • Oh I should have added - once they can sort of ride a bike (3.5 in our case, with stabilisiers) you can get a 'tow bar' which locks the front handlebars....so all they need to do is sit and hold on. Good idea. 2 years old, though, is probably a bit wee for that.
  • arran77
    BigLights wrote:
    I do, however, like those delivery style front seats (you can carry up to 2 munchkins), but it means the bike is quite a chunker if you're continuing a long way to work.

A box bike?

boxbike.jpg

8)

seanoconn
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    Agreed on when your child falls asleep it does affect the handling :)

However in such weather ensure they have correct clothing as it can get quite cold when they are cycling. My little one is 19 months and I will take her to playgroups every so often. I put the seat on my Mekk with clinchers, but now settled with the old MTB instead. Its heavier but at least is more grounded!

Many times I felt quite bad as she was quite cold and had a runny nose soon after.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • asprilla
    arran77 wrote:
    BigLights wrote:
    I do, however, like those delivery style front seats (you can carry up to 2 munchkins), but it means the bike is quite a chunker if you're continuing a long way to work.

A box bike?

boxbike.jpg

8)

Last summer I specced one with a 500w pedelec system. Would have been fun taking the kids round Richmond Park and taking scalps up Queens Road.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Shed a bit of weight from the heavier components, some decent bars and saddle. Probably a riot of fun when you put the hammer down, pretty much the safest way to go i reckon. Plus do your weekly shop with it. http://bakfiets.nl/eng/modellen/cargobike/short/

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • arran77
    You definitely need to consider wrapping them up well or protecting them from the elements.

Ours have those all in one waterproof suit things you can get a bit like these.

product_zoom130.jpg

seanoconn
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I hit 27mph once with my daughter on the back, scalping a guy in club kit. If she'd been carrying a whip I'd still bear the scars.

She's quite good at racing now; I wonder whether there's a connection...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I used a Hamax seat with my daughter. Looked like the current Kiss, but this was more than a decade ago. Once I was astride the bike, it was fine, but getting on and off could be tricky - almost dropped her a few times. :D

These days, I think I'd go for a trailer instead. Better weather protection, for a start.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • asprilla
    This is what I was looking at: http://cargobike.co.uk/Products/Family- ... fiets.html

With upgrades, natch.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    We used a Hamax when our two were small enough, then went on to a tag along thing. Being a truly irresponsible parent I may have had a 'moment' or two and crash tested both of them (off road I should add) and I can say that in that event the child will look at you for guidance so laugh and they will laugh too. They are now big enough and bad enough to do their own crashing so no harm was done.
  • htsw5
    htsw5 Posts: 72
    Another Hamax owner here - can't fault it but as they get bigger you do notice to the change in centre of gravity...

There is a good (and fairly balanced) review of options on here
    http://www.fionaoutdoors.co.uk/2013/09/a-guide-to-childrens-bike-seats.html

Personally, I went from a Hamax to a tag-a-long and then when no2 arrived now have one of the tandems at the bottom of the link with the Hamax on the back.

Definitely need to wrap them up warm but nothing stopping you doing it year round - I use a couple of balaclavas and good all-in-one suits.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    +1 for Hamax Kiss. Built-in suspension and easily demountable.
    My wife and I use to swap pick-up and drop-off. We had the mounting bracket on both our bikes so could leave the seat at the nursery and complete our commutes unencumbered.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Thanks for the pointers all - will pass on and mention the other forum to them
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    Never tried a balaclava. Just a light beanie and then her baby helmet on top.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Asprilla wrote:
    This is what I was looking at: http://cargobike.co.uk/Products/Family- ... fiets.html

With upgrades, natch.

There's a lot of internet chat re. the Bak-Fakes as they call them. Although most of this is aimed at Chinese copies of the Bakfiet.nl and christiana bikes and seems to my mind very much along the line of when china started to produce carbon race frames. Some of them are going to be crap/dangerous but equally some of them are going to be just as high quality but without the european stickers. The pricing for 'genuine' dutch made bikes appears to be between £1300 and £1600. the copies seem to reatail at £600-£800. Just mentioning it because i'm looking at getting one for shopping trips and am finding it hard to tell what's what.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • asprilla
    Koncordski wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

With upgrades, natch.

There's a lot of internet chat re. the Bak-Fakes as they call them. Although most of this is aimed at Chinese copies of the Bakfiet.nl and christiana bikes and seems to my mind very much along the line of when china started to produce carbon race frames. Some of them are going to be crap/dangerous but equally some of them are going to be just as high quality but without the european stickers. The pricing for 'genuine' dutch made bikes appears to be between £1300 and £1600. the copies seem to reatail at £600-£800. Just mentioning it because i'm looking at getting one for shopping trips and am finding it hard to tell what's what.

Indeed. I came up against the same issue. The company I linked to are based in Derbyshire and build to order including frame. I specified a suitable mounting point on the head tube for a light as I didn't fancy having one on the bars and blinding the kids if they looked round.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Re the ones that go between your legs - I have an ibert and my mate has a WeeRide. They're great for pootling and keeping very little ones wrapped up by your legs and arms (and talking to them and being close to them). At 2 and for commuting - I think that you're looking at a back seat mounted seat. The Hamaxes are good - I've got a mate who has used them and thinks they're good.

I use a Yepp Maxi for my little one - once you get round the faff of attaching it to the seatpost, it is really good. Looks pretty smart, my 2 1/2yr old daughter loves it and the seat slides off leaving just the post mount.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_832915_langId_-1_categoryId_165476

You can buy further mounts to use them on different bikes and I've used it on a Dahon minivelo and my cross bike no worries. Probably a bit on the expensive side - but if it gets used every day......
  • TGOTB wrote:
    I hit 27mph once with my daughter on the back, scalping a guy in club kit. If she'd been carrying a whip I'd still bear the scars.
    Done that too - daughter was telling me to go faster! (Her mother was a way back having kittens!). I had a CoPilot Limo - really comfortable for the nipper and stable. Slid off the bike rack easily too for non child based rides
  • Got 2 Hamaxes for sale currently, just not got round to sticking an advert up. £30 each sound reasonable? let me know if any interest / pics etc
    <a>road</a>