Headset Bearings help?

lcowner
lcowner Posts: 341
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
1 1/8 steerer
canecreek s2 headset
im looking for cartridge bearings for canecreek headset 41.8 x 30.15 x 6mm (bottom steerer)-has a 45 degree angle on it
anyone point me in the right direction where to buy?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I believe S6 is direct replacement for S2
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • lcowner
    ta any links to wer i can get cheap?
  • lcowner
    anyone ?
  • lcowner
    mfin wrote:
    dont think so mate looks like a 41mm od on that bearing
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    lcowner wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    dont think so mate looks like a 41mm od on that bearing

Ah okay...

Does a scan read of this help at all? http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=73390

I didn't read it all but maybe some of it was inferring it might be cheap and easy just to replace the whole headset
  • lcowner
    yes indeed but......my frame is carbon fibre and they are bonded in....thanks for advice could order full headset and judt use the parts i need i suppose,i am going to call a few bearings supplier sfter lunch and see can they hsve wat im looking for...
  • mfin
    You mean you have cups the bearings sit in (didn't look at the headset) and these cups come as part of the headset that are bonded into the frame? If so I haven't heard of that, I've seen and got a bike where the cups are put into the frame but they are not bonded in, they are press fit and can be extracted with the right tool in a couple of minutes.

Anyway, it sounds like you know what you are doing. Good luck with it all.
  • lcowner
    mfin wrote:
    You mean you have cups the bearings sit in (didn't look at the headset) and these cups come as part of the headset that are bonded into the frame? If so I haven't heard of that, I've seen and got a bike where the cups are put into the frame but they are not bonded in, they are press fit and can be extracted with the right tool in a couple of minutes.

im only guessing mate there bonded in maybe not? :oops:
    i didnet think carbon would take the pressure of them being pressed in ??so u think they are like a bearing fitting in nice n tight?push fit?matbe they are mate il look into it...
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    As mfin says if your current headset is a Cane Creek S2 then it will have cups that are press fitted into the headtube. Have just replaced an S2 on 2nd hand Trek 5200 frame I built up. Bought the cup removal tool from eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headset-Cup-R ... 4897.l4276

Then sourced a new S6 headset and fitted that using a homemade press to install the cups.

Pretty straighforward job - just be careful to line up the new cups accurately when you are pressing them home.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    What's the frame? Some carbon frames have 'integrated' headsets that use metal inserts bonded into the frame instead of being truly integrated - others have pressed in headsets, typically zero stack style ones. (cf. Scotts)
  • mfin
    lcowner wrote:
    mfin wrote:

im only guessing mate there bonded in maybe not? :oops:
    i didnet think carbon would take the pressure of them being pressed in ??so u think they are like a bearing fitting in nice n tight?push fit?matbe they are mate il look into it...

The pressing in procedure is not brutal, it's gentle. I had cups removed on a brand new frame to then put in different ones for a different headset, and this was on an expensive frame. It's just got to be done with the right tools. The tool to get the old ones out is a basic tap them gently out device as linked to here, that make sense the second you go to use it. The insertion of new ones is done with a wind in press, more like this kind of thing http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cyclus-headset-press/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5300022090 ...getting a bike shop to do it all is the answer really.

(unless of course yours are bonded in after all)
  • lcowner
    thanks for ur help chaps