Will using a pannier rack mounting kit damage a carbon frame

Roaders
Roaders Posts: 22
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
Hi All

I am hoping to buy one of these in the next few weeks:

Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert Disc Di2 2014 Road Bike

But I will be using it for commuting and need some luggage so I need to fit a pannier rack (I'm going to ignore all the shouts of horror about using this bike for commuting or putting a rack on it).

Initially I thought that this was not possible and I was looking at getting a custom Titanium frame made with the same components. I have now found a couple of options though.

There is the Tubus set of pannier racks. I have used a Tubus rack before on a bike with no eyelets and it seemed to work very well. If I use the Tubus Clamp Set For Seat Stay Mounting and the Tubus Adapter Set For QR-Axle Mounting I think that'll work won't it? I am unsure if the rack will clear the disc brakes though...

There is also the Axiom set of racks as shown in the video. They specifically make a rack for road bikes with disc brakes which sounds very promising. I can't see how the rack will attach to the frame at the top with no eyelets and no caliper brakes. I could use the Tubus Clamp set though (which I have on my current bike)

So, Will mounting this to my bike damage the carbon frame?
Any recommendations about which rack / mounting system I should go for?

Thanks

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    :-)
  • i guess it depends on how much stuff you are going to be taking with you, as you could also look at carridace bags which just attach to the seat post.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Roaders wrote:

But I will be using it for commuting and need some luggage so I need to fit a pannier rack (I'm going to ignore all the shouts of horror about using this bike for commuting or putting a rack on it).

You use it for what you want, people are only jealous :wink:

What about one of those things that attaches to the seat post to put some panniers on?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    How much will you be carrying? A seatpost bag might suit you better.

Though personally, I'd not want to spend four and a half grand on a lovely performance bike like that and then ruin the center of balance like that. ;)

If I were you I'd try and fit everything in a rucksack, and then eventually even stop doing that. If you have a dry cleaner local to where you work, just keep some shirts in the office. You'll enjoy your new bike much more that way.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Not sure I'd want the rack on the carbon seatpost ...

but if you're not carrying much then the seatpost fitting won't take much strain and the qr mounts should take most of the load.

I used P-Clips on my alloy Allez - absolutely fine, but did mark the paintwork - so best to protect before putting the attachment on.
  • arran77
    Slowbike wrote:
    Not sure I'd want the rack on the carbon seatpost ...

but if you're not carrying much then the seatpost fitting won't take much strain and the qr mounts should take most of the load.

I used P-Clips on my alloy Allez - absolutely fine, but did mark the paintwork - so best to protect before putting the attachment on.

The Topeak ones are only meant to take 7kg load so like you say probably not much strain there.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Thanks for the posts.

I am considering a large seat post type bag. It might be the better option and easier to remove for those few weekend rides I'll be doing.

A rucksack is definitely not an option - I get sweaty enough as it is and really don't want something stopping the air getting to my back.

I have a dry cleaners in my building so all I bring in each day is underwear but, especially during the winter, I bring in other clothing configurations for the bike. At the moment I have 2 jackets in my bag (one warm, one waterproof), waterproof trousers, thick waterproof gloves and deoderant, assos cream ect in my bag.

My commute is 18 miles each way. If it's cold and wet then you can suffer for 5 miles but as I am on the bike for over an hour minor discomfort can become frozen toes by the time I get home so I like to have options with me at work.

In the summer I can reduce that a lot. In the winter I could probably reduce it a bit and fit it into a large saddle bag.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    All I'm going to say, is I wish I had your budget for a commuter.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • arran77
    Roaders wrote:
    I have a dry cleaners in my building so all I bring in each day is underwear but, especially during the winter, I bring in other clothing configurations for the bike. At the moment I have 2 jackets in my bag (one warm, one waterproof), waterproof trousers, thick waterproof gloves and deoderant, assos cream ect in my bag.

Although not especially heavy, all that kit is probably quite bulky, having said that though there are some pretty big saddle bags available, whether or not they would work for you is another thing!!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/carradice-super-c-saddlebag/

seanoconn
  • Mikey23
    A carradice or equivalent saddle bag is probably ok if it attaches to the seat rails and post

I think that hanging anything directly off a carbon seat post is not a good idea. I have a topeak beam bar which clamps to the post and they advise against it regardless of the weight. I think it's about the stresses and strains involved. A trawl of the internet and this site will confirm this. You could fit an aluminium post for commuting of course

I've not thought of the solutions you mention but will check them out for my occasional weekends away on my roubaix
  • arran77
    You make a good point Mikey about an aluminum post to use a seatpost mounted rack, those carradice ones are a bit Last of the Summer Wine anyway :wink:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Saw a bloke with a huge Carradice bag on the back of a Scott CR1 yesterday. It did look a bit odd.
  • arran77
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Saw a bloke with a huge Carradice bag on the back of a Scott CR1 yesterday. It did look a bit odd.

Indeed.

If you have the money for a Roubaix SL4 Expert Disc Di2 then how about one of these 8)

http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue-and-shop/bags/cycle+bags+%26+accoutrements/CORNWALL+Handlebar+Bag/

seanoconn
  • Rack that fits through QR like blackburn expedition one disc and a seatpost collar with mounts is the neatest solution, solid and won't damage or mark your frame
    left the forum March 2023
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Roaders wrote:
    Thanks for the posts.

I am considering a large seat post type bag. It might be the better option and easier to remove for those few weekend rides I'll be doing.

A rucksack is definitely not an option - I get sweaty enough as it is and really don't want something stopping the air getting to my back.

My commute is 18 miles each way. If it's cold and wet then you can suffer for 5 miles but as I am on the bike for over an hour minor discomfort can become frozen toes by the time I get home so I like to have options with me at work.

In the summer I can reduce that a lot. In the winter I could probably reduce it a bit and fit it into a large saddle bag.

Sounds like an arctic expedition rather than a cycle into work. Why not be more clever with the on bike wear? I usually check the weather and tailor my outfit to it. If it will definately be wet then I wear my wet weather gear. If not I wear whatever is appropraite and have a small packable wind/waterproof with me. I don't consider waterproof trousers worthwhile as you will just fill them full of sweat and have wet legs anyway. Deodorant etc can be left at work (although why you are lubing up with chamois cream for 18 miles is beyond me! ;)). Careful planning can see you quite happily on for 18 miles whilst keeping the carry weight on your bike down.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    menthel wrote:
    Sounds like an arctic expedition rather than a cycle into work. Why not be more clever with the on bike wear? I usually check the weather and tailor my outfit to it. If it will definitely be wet then I wear my wet weather gear. If not I wear whatever is appropraite and have a small packable wind/waterproof with me. I don't consider waterproof trousers worthwhile as you will just fill them full of sweat and have wet legs anyway. Deodorant etc can be left at work (although why you are lubing up with chamois cream for 18 miles is beyond me! ;)). Careful planning can see you quite happily on for 18 miles whilst keeping the carry weight on your bike down.
    Good advice there ... :)

With suitable planning I can ride most of my days with just my lunch in the bag ... although I often keep a packamac to hand.
    To keep at work is mostly clothing and stuff - but I also have spare tubes & a stand pump (that was handy the other week!).
    I do have waterproof trousers - but they're only any good if you're going to be riding in a downpour - I've put them on before and ridden in nothing but light drizzel - still ended up soaked. So most of the time they're left at home and only put in the bag should the forecast be for significant rainfall on the way home. Even then it's debatable as to the effectiveness - I can dry my kit quickly at home anyway....
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Why are you carrying all that cr*p? I ride 15 miles each way to work and keep towel, deodorant, etc in the office. Leave shoes there overnight, so only need a shirt, underwear and socks really. The rest of my gear is my anti-fairy kit, pump, a few tools and a tube.

Get a saddle bag, but put an alloy rather than carbon seat pin in, just in case

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Rack that fits through QR like blackburn expedition one disc and a seatpost collar with mounts is the neatest solution, solid and won't damage or mark your frame

That sounds like a pretty good solution. I was starting to like the idea of a seat post mounted rack as well (on an aluminium seat post) but this is also a good solution.
  • menthel wrote:
    Sounds like an arctic expedition rather than a cycle into work. Why not be more clever with the on bike wear? I usually check the weather and tailor my outfit to it. If it will definitely be wet then I wear my wet weather gear. If not I wear whatever is appropraite and have a small packable wind/waterproof with me. I don't consider waterproof trousers worthwhile as you will just fill them full of sweat and have wet legs anyway. Deodorant etc can be left at work (although why you are lubing up with chamois cream for 18 miles is beyond me! ;)). Careful planning can see you quite happily on for 18 miles whilst keeping the carry weight on your bike down.

Yes, I think part of the reason I take so much is because I've got a massive bag so it all just get's swallowed up. I can easily get rid of a lot of this stuff - I hardly ever use the trousers for example (the other day I was in this with my trousers nice and dry in the bottom of my bag).
    menthel wrote:
    (although why you are lubing up with chamois cream for 18 miles is beyond me! ;))

I like the way it feels... ;-)
  • menthel
    Roaders wrote:
    menthel wrote:

Yes, I think part of the reason I take so much is because I've got a massive bag so it all just get's swallowed up. I can easily get rid of a lot of this stuff - I hardly ever use the trousers for example (the other day I was in this with my trousers nice and dry in the bottom of my bag).
    menthel wrote:
    (although why you are lubing up with chamois cream for 18 miles is beyond me! ;))

I like the way it feels... ;-)

Pare down your kit and then see if you need panniers. I actually manage happily with a rucksack, despite being a sweaty mess. It hasn't really made much of an impact!

As for the chamois cream- I can't use the assos stuff, one too many bad memories of that mint source shower gel. I non menthol stuff on bigger rides as it does stop some chafing but not sure about a commute length ride. Perhaps I am just too slow! ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • With the Assos cream I did go through a phase of getting quite sore spots on my arse that nearly got to the point of stopping me ride. I don't really know what I did to stop that but it doesn't happen anymore. I started with the cream then and have just carried on.
  • menthel
    Roaders wrote:
    With the Assos cream I did go through a phase of getting quite sore spots on my ars* that nearly got to the point of stopping me ride. I don't really know what I did to stop that but it doesn't happen anymore. I started with the cream then and have just carried on.

If it works for you then keep doing it. A sore arse is a bad thing. Then again so are tingling minty crown jewels in my book! ;)
    RIP commute...
  • I wonder if we've ever passed each other on CS7! We may well have chatted at some point...
  • Roaders wrote:
    Rack that fits through QR like blackburn expedition one disc and a seatpost collar with mounts is the neatest solution, solid and won't damage or mark your frame

That sounds like a pretty good solution. I was starting to like the idea of a seat post mounted rack as well (on an aluminium seat post) but this is also a good solution.

Seatpost mounted racks are rubbish... they are not very firm, swing and you lose balance as you put down power on the pedals... avoid!

I have used a QR rack for four years and it's ace...
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Roaders wrote:
    Rack that fits through QR like blackburn expedition one disc and a seatpost collar with mounts is the neatest solution, solid and won't damage or mark your frame

Seatpost mounted racks are rubbish... they are not very firm, swing and you lose balance as you put down power on the pedals... avoid!

Seconded
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671
    Roaders wrote:

Much the same issue as the Hamax child seats discussed on the other thread, I'd imagine.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    [...]

Not been my experience in the last few years with a topeak beam and top box; think it moved on day #1 when I hadn't tightened it. But then again I barely carry a kilo in it and don't activate teh awsum on my commute.
    Having said that, the seat-collar and QR skewer mount option sounds the most sensible if you want panniers.
  • Mikey23
    Topeak beam was correctly fitted for me in the shop where I purchased it. Has not moved and is still doing exactly what it's supposed to. Two years on and two continental touring holidays. There may be other solutions but it was a present and it works...
  • I might get one of these Topeak Bean things on my current Bike and see how good it is. If it's good then I'll get an alloy seat tube on my new bike and use one of those.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Roaders wrote:
    I might get one of these Topeak Bean things on my current Bike and see how good it is. If it's good then I'll get an alloy seat tube on my new bike and use one of those.
    That would seem a shame, given the COBL GOBL-R (or whatever) seat post on the Roubaix.