sram x7 front shifter lever wont click

hoysy7
hoysy7 Posts: 19
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
having a problem with my x7 front lever,the red indictor keeps moving back to 1 thus keeping my gears on the small front cogg,when i put force on the lever the chain moves up to the 2nd cogg but as soon as i release the pressure on the trigger the chain drops down to the small cogg,plus there seems to be no clicking sound from the lever itself,any help would be great

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    If you pull the cable manually does the rear mech shift?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tension in the cable too high? Have you fiddled with the adjuster. If not it's fubared.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • hoysy7
    cooldad wrote:
    Tension in the cable too high? Have you fiddled with the adjuster. If not it's fubared.

i was shifting up to the big cogg when the cable went slack
  • hoysy7

not sure the bike in the shed ive had to cable tie the lever at a certain point so it keeps the chain on the middle cogg for work tomorrow
  • 97th choice
    So the cable is slack from the shifter to the front mech and the front mech won't return to the smaller ring?

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • 97th choice
    hoysy7 wrote:

not sure the bike in the shed ive had to cable tie the lever at a certain point so it keeps the chain on the middle cogg for work tomorrow

Sorry, I meant front mech not rear!

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • hoysy7
    So the cable is slack from the shifter to the front mech and the front mech won't return to the smaller ring?

the chain is stuck on the small cogg and wont shift up it seams the lever wont take up the tension of the cable
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is the shifter moving the mech (sounds like it as you are cable tying it in place), if so it sounds like the ratchet mechanism inside the mech isn't working, remove cover and clean it out, usually means mud has got it, the SRAM's are prone if the cable access port (for changing the cable) plug is left off.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • hoysy7
    The Rookie wrote:
    Is the shifter moving the mech (sounds like it as you are cable tying it in place), if so it sounds like the ratchet mechanism inside the mech isn't working, remove cover and clean it out, usually means mud has got it, the SRAM's are prone if the cable access port (for changing the cable) plug is left off.
    it is moving the mech but only when i force hold it if you know what i mean ,and the plug on the side is still in place ,ive talked to a couple of people at work and have come to the conclusion ive snapped something inside the shifter ,so ive bitten the bullet and bought one of ebay for 12.00 so i will just put that on ,thanks for all the help