My Orange Alpine 160 650B

samu88
samu88 Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Just got finished this, and not much experience so far. And frame doesn`t need any modificanions with 2,25 ardent tire. Dont know weight yet, but i let you know later, if wanted.

Here is specs:

-Rockshox Pike 160mm 27.5"
-Sun Ringle Charger Pro Sl with 2.25" Ardent (tubeless)
-Elka Stage 5 with ti shock
-Answer 720mm Carbon bar
-Renthal Strada stem
-Raceface respond/x9/xo transmission
-Formula T1s brakes with 203/180 rotors

_img1280.jpg

_img1280.jpg

_img1280.jpg

_img1280.jpg

Here is couple photos more --> http://samu88.kuvat.fi/kuvat/pyorat/Orange+Alpine+160/

Comments

• Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Nice bike, I like the pike and the wheels! What kind of shock is that?
  • Here is review. http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... are-42696/

It was elka, but these days it is MRP :)
  • What length shock are you running? Doesnt the tyre buzz the seattube?
  • Stock shock lenght, and tire clearance is 1/4" when shock is botttom.
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    Cracking looking bike you got there! The only thing I would change is a dropper post and change the bender fender to black.
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • yeah. I have dropper post, and will change it when spring comes. Already broke one reverb. Too cold and freeze, sealings went bad :/ And black is coming =)
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    Seems we have very similar taste then... enjoy your bike!
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'm just curious, does this not have a stupidly high bottom bracket now? I can't imagine it handling too well with the wrong wheel size on it...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Nice, Elka do great little shocks for motorcycles too, I have one on my Supertwin (Suzuki) racebike, Canadian I think...
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    That looks like a very high bottom bracket. The BB height as standard is a little high so surely raising it more can't be good.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I would have thought the BB would be on very high side of things, given the bigger wheels and the longer 650b fork. Just from a look the BB looks way above the axle line, my Mojo HD's BB drops just below the axle line and has a BB of 13.5", so that has to be 14.5" to 15"... which is sky high!!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Pedal strikes won't be a problem.
  • samu88
    Let see how it works when i ride it more. I have planned to buy burgtec`s offset bearings, but before that, i need modifying elka little bit. BB get about 5mm lower. A-c dimension raised 2mm with that 27,5 pike. and wheels raised bike about 12,5mm. Sorry my very very bad english :D
  • lawman
    The thing to think about with the offset bushings and bigger wheels is the seat tube clearance at full bottom out, you say you have 1/4" at the minute but add in the offset bushings and it's gonna be damn close to the seat tube. Just something to bear in mind.
  • samu88
    lawman wrote:
    The thing to think about with the offset bushings and bigger wheels is the seat tube clearance at full bottom out, you say you have 1/4" at the minute but add in the offset bushings and it's gonna be damn close to the seat tube. Just something to bear in mind.

Thats why i need to modifyi elka a little bit. I think 6-7mm shorter stroke will be fine :)
  • lawman
    A shorter stroke would sort it but it would mean less travel, suppose if it sorts the geometry it would be worth it!
  • rockmonkeysc
    So just to run a slightly larger wheel which gives bugger all advantage you're prepared to butcher your shock and mess with the geometry to make it possibly, sort of work?
    I don't really see the point.
  • lawman
    So just to run a slightly larger wheel which gives bugger all advantage you're prepared to butcher your shock and mess with the geometry to make it possibly, sort of work?

This really. Wheelsize doesn't make the bike, the geometry/wheelsize as a whole dictates how a bike is going to ride. Shortening the shock will slacken out an already slack headangle, just to lower the BB... I'd have stuck with 26" wheels
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412

CAWT. Just because something's physically possible to do, dpesn't mean it's a good idea to do it. I was reading an article recently about how Nukeproof designed the new 650b Mega TR and the designer said something along the lines of "We could've just put 650b wheels into the existing frame, and in fact we tried it, but it felt awful"...
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Nice, Elka do great little shocks for motorcycles too, I have one on my Supertwin (Suzuki) racebike, Canadian I think...

They are Canadian, based in Quebec.
  • samu88

CAWT. Just because something's physically possible to do, dpesn't mean it's a good idea to do it. I was reading an article recently about how Nukeproof designed the new 650b Mega TR and the designer said something along the lines of "We could've just put 650b wheels into the existing frame, and in fact we tried it, but it felt awful"...

If it feels awful, then i changed it back to 26. =) I just cant believe that 7-8mm higher BB will ruin the bike, so i need to try :lol:
  • Nice bike you should go one better and stick 29" wheels on :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    Nice bike you should go one better and stick 29" wheels on :lol:

I believe its possible to modify Boxxers to accept a 29er wheel
  • Nice bike you should go one better and stick 29" wheels on :lol:

I believe its possible to modify Boxxers to accept a 29er wheel

Hack saw at the ready